Upgrade Disk Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Klew721, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Klew721 macrumors newbie

I am a novice when it comes to RAM/memory stuff. I was just wondering where I could find affordable memory to upgrade my MacBook Pro. I have the Mid-2010 MacBook Pro (13") model.

I found the instructions on Apple on how I would go about installing the new ones and such. Also, I assume, I would need to save stuff to a memory USB or external hard drive that I want to keep before I add new memory/RAM.

I current have 4 GB of memory. So I would probably upgrade to either 8 GB total or 16 GB (if possible).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rheb1026 macrumors member

Nothing is stored permanently in RAM, so once you shut down your computer it's cleared. It's as simple as taking off the back cover, removing the two old sticks and replacing them with the two new sticks of memory. Close the cover and start up the computer

As far as brands go, there are a lot out there. Some favor a certain brand, but you'll be fine as long as you stick with a major manufacturer. Personally, I have G.Skill in my MBP and have never had a problem. There are a lot who use Crucial around here, too. If you go to the Crucial site, you can choose your computer and they will give you a list of their memory that they guarantee to work

3. praetorx macrumors regular

You can find and buy memory (RAM) on Amazon.com or Newegg.
    You don't need to save anything when swapping RAM. Your data will remain on your HDD that is unless you are swapping the HDD too.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

@OP

No offense, but you seem to be confused about the difference between system memory (RAM) and storage (hard disk, HDD, HD, or SSD). Under these circumstances, are you sure that you want to shop online, select the correct product and install it?

If you want to avoid Apples overpriced upgrades, you could still find an electronics store like microcenter or Frys (not bestbuy, that's a consumer store!) and get help with selecting the correct memory, and maybe also have them install it for a small fee. Just a thought...