Upgrade due in May, ? about 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TLmac, Feb 25, 2015.

1. TLmac macrumors member

I currently have an iPhone 5. My upgrade is in May. I plan on getting the 5S. A friend of mine suggested I find out if there's any way to know if the 5S will support upgrades to the software...I would have to be locked into having it for 2 yrs.

Thanks

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Why get a 5s? At the point the 6 will be 8 months old and the 6s will be coming in 4 months.

I would absolutely advise against getting a 5s in May.

3. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

I haven't researched much about it but these are my 2 reasons, right now:

1. size...seems like a mini tablet to me

2. $$...Right now thru Verizon, it's $200...the 5S is $99..I know by May that might change but I guess unless it goes to $100 for the 6, I would consider it.

Other than that, I haven't researched it enough to say any other good reasons why.

4. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

The 5s will be around for a long time due to the 64bit chip and touch id.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No problem for the next 2 years, Apple will support with updates.

But I would still look at the 6 before I did the 5S. The 5S was a great phone but the 6 is better. It is what I wished the 5/5S would have been!

6. JAG21979 macrumors member

I have the 6 and don't think it's a mini tablet, perhaps the 6+ but not the 6. I think it hits the sweet spot for ergonomics. I think the 5S is a superb device but the battery life isn't the greatest. The iP6 has decent battery life, better than the 5s but not nearly as good as the 6+. If it came down to $, go with the 5S, especially if size or battery life isn't an issue for you. Apple will support the 5S for at least a few years because of the 64 bit architecture, and the fact that there are plenty of users who love the 4" form factors of the 5S. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

7. 617aircav Suspended

I have a 6plus and a galaxy 8.4 tab. The 6plus is noway close to being a tablet.

8. TLmac thread starter macrumors member

Ok...thank you for all of your input! I will consider...:)

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

At least get the 6. It's not at all close to a tablet. The 5S is an absolute waste of a subsidized device at this point. Hypothetically let's say you absolutely don't want the 6 or 6 plus, you could still make some money in the process by using your upgrade to buy the 6 or 6 plus and sell it to get a used 5S. It's a total waste to not use an upgrade on the latest model.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If you're planning on keeping the 5S until May 2017 then I would absolutely hold off until September and get the 6S.

12. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Just wait till September and get a $99 iPhone 6 when the 6S comes out? Or if there is something really ground breaking about the 6S you can see whether you want to shell out the extra money for something really especially awesome.

Getting a new iPhone past like April is a bad idea in my opinion. By then, the phone is already pretty far through its cycle and it will be replaced in a matter of a few months. Don't get me wrong, the 5S is still great and all, but if you wait just a little you can get something better for the same price.

Besides, upgrading from a 5 to a 5S is not really a ton of difference. It will be a bit faster, have Touch ID, slightly better camera, that's it. If you get a 6, it will be even better than the 5S, and it will feel a lot more fresh due to a different build.

13. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Exactly, because it's guaranteed to have 2GB of ram. :rolleyes: