Upgrade DVD vs. Retail DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AzRocks, Dec 22, 2008.

1. AzRocks macrumors newbie

I recieved Leopard through the Up to Date program, around a year ago. I recieved a "Leopard Upgrade DVD" I was wondering if this is the same as the retail version, specifically because I am interested in trying to install Leopard on a Dell computer, and to do that you need the Retail version of Leopard. Functionally, is the Up to Date DVD the same, or will it check to see that I have an old version of Mac OS X already on the computer?

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. I don't believe we help with Hackintosh, but a vanilla version of OS X ISN'T going to install on a PC...EVER.:D:p
    2. I also believe that, while they look almost identical to Leopard Retail, the Upgrade Disks are machine-specific, just like the gray ones.

3. AzRocks thread starter macrumors newbie

OK Thanks thats all I wanted to know. Sorry if thats not allowed here!

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not a big deal.

Hey, Hackintoshes... they're... Insanely Great.

HINT HINT. *coughGoogleitcough*

Also, do buy another copy of Leopard retail for your Hackintosh, please. You won't be able to use it directly, but at least you're not shafting Apple... as much. Either that or uninstall Leopard from the computer you're using it on now (but that's silly).

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The upgrade will upgrade Tiger on the machine, don't think it'll install on a blank drive.

Usually also fails to contain the developer tools.

---

Functionally, it is the same as the retail with the inclusion of an extra few lines in the machine check scripts to look for Tiger on the install volume.

Used to be the case with earlier OSs, probably still was with Leopard Upgrade DVDs.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are not machine specific but check your hard drive for a previously installed version of 10.4 or 10.5 before the installation begins.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i used my retail disk to install leopard on my hackintosh directly. running vanilla osx too. and yes, we can help with hackintosh. remember that link to arn's post in another thread we discussed on this topic?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you do it with the EFI-X dongle? And, yes, that's right. Just no links to the software needed, right? Tanj. Gotta get used to this Brave New World...

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope

boot-132 method. its pretty much the free alternative to efi-x

yea we just cant help in the obtaining of files. MR doesnt police eula violations as its between the end user and apple