Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Can anyone who has returned their iphone tell me how long it too them to get their upgrade eligibility back?

also, could you tell me whether you called att to do it.

Apple received my iphone yesterday morning, and att refuses to give me my upgrade back for 72 hours, and I keep getting different answers on whether everything is right or not. My contract date is back to normal and my upgrade fee has been given back to me.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
Why do u need It reversed? Did u trade in your black to get a white? If so I really hope the white releases tomorrow and sells out on you for instant karma for the folks still waiting on a black one. :D

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Why do u need It reversed? Did u trade in your black to get a white? If so I really hope the white releases tomorrow and sells out on you for instant karma for the folks still waiting on a black one. :D

Ha maybe. I am deciding between white and android captivate. I wanted to return my iphone because I was at the end of my 30 days and I am going to visit my father this weekend who has the captivate. :eek:

Oversoul

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
For me, it was almost immediate. I returned my iPhone 4 to Apple in-store, where the Apple retail employee told me that a return only suspends my new AT&T contract and that I would have to cancel the contract through AT&T. So, I headed over to an AT&T store, showed the AT&T rep my return receipt, and he returned me to my old contract. That same day, my account showed that I was upgrade eligible.

I was warned that it could take up to 72 hrs. for my account to reflect my upgrade eligibility, but I read somewhere that this is only because of some flag in their system. If you've returned your iPhone and have proof of this, I don't see why AT&T can't remove the flag as they restore your pre-existing contract.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
For me, it was almost immediate. I returned my iPhone 4 to Apple in-store, where the Apple retail employee told me that a return only suspends my new AT&T contract and that I would have to cancel the contract through AT&T. So, I headed over to an AT&T store, showed the AT&T rep my return receipt, and he returned me to my old contract. That same day, my account showed that I was upgrade eligible.

I was warned that it could take up to 72 hrs. for my account to reflect my upgrade eligibility, but I read somewhere that this is only because of some flag in their system. If you've returned your iPhone and have proof of this, I don't see why AT&T can't remove the flag as they restore your pre-existing contract.

Yeah, that is what I keep telling them. I had to ship mine back though. Originally they said they would reverse it when they have proof that I returned it. Now they acknowledge that I return it but they say there is nothing they can do.

I guess I will try to take a printout of the return to att tomorrow.

anyone else have a return story?

Oversoul

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
Yeah, perhaps try an in-store AT&T rep. It wouldn't hurt if you explain that you're considering upgrading to a different phone imminently, but only at a subsidized price. I'm sure AT&T will be more than willing to help you sign over your soul to them for another two years.

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
My phones I returned were received on July 19th and they reset my upgrade last night. I still haven't seen a refund yet though. And an email would be nice too.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
1 hour.

I returned mine to the ATT store, called corporate on my way home in the car... BAM! Reversed.

I also traded in my black phone to get the white... you should join in on my thread I started!

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
1 hour.

I returned mine to the ATT store, called corporate on my way home in the car... BAM! Reversed.

I also traded in my black phone to get the white... you should join in on my thread I started!

I return my samsung captivate today and I'm still waiting to get my upgrade back. Who did you speak too?

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
Can anyone who has returned their iphone tell me how long it too them to get their upgrade eligibility back?

also, could you tell me whether you called att to do it.

Apple received my iphone yesterday morning, and att refuses to give me my upgrade back for 72 hours, and I keep getting different answers on whether everything is right or not. My contract date is back to normal and my upgrade fee has been given back to me.

Shipped the iP4 back to the mothership on Monday. They received it Wednesday afternoon. This morning (Thursday) the upgrade eligibility and contract dates were reversed. This afternoon I picked up a Samsung Captivate, very nice phone.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Shipped the iP4 back to the mothership on Monday. They received it Wednesday afternoon. This morning (Thursday) the upgrade eligibility and contract dates were reversed. This afternoon I picked up a Samsung Captivate, very nice phone.

This is the exact same timeline for me! My contract date is back and the 18 is back, but not my eligibility and they are saying it is normal. This is driving me nuts! Thank you for the input. I will use this as ammo tomorrow I guess.

On a side note, what bothers me so much is that every one of the att reps who answer the phone say "that will be no problem. We can fix that for you." I know they are reading a script, but it just drives me nuts. Just admit you don't know if you can fix it and ask a supervisor. Don't make up excuses.

sorry for the rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.