Upgrade Eligibility

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Djs621, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Djs621 macrumors regular

So I check my status this AM and it says:

"You currently have a past due balance. Pay your past due balance and take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Use Online Account Manager to check and pay your balance now. This line may qualify for an equipment discount on 11/18/2011."

Usually it says "pay your balance and you may be eligible for a discounted upgrade." I wonder why they won't even offer me a slightly discounted upgrade with my contract ending in November.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not ask them? None of us can really answer your question, its between you and ATT.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you have or often have a past due balance they count that against you when it comes to early upgrades.

4. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Agreed. Maybe they'll take candy as payment since we're nearing Halloween?

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It would be worth a shot! If you get a rep with a sweet tooth candy might just be an option!

7. EddyP macrumors 6502

Not to be a dick but... why would you want to spend money on a new phone if you can't pay your bill on time?

8. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

He could be like I used to be. I had the money to pay, but I was really irresponsible and would wait till the last minute (or sometimes until I got shut off) to pay.

I don't do that any more. I like to spend that money I save paying late fees on CANDY!! :p

9. j4bles macrumors member

this!

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Since you usually owe money why would they offer you anything at all??

The next step is a Collection Agency knocking at your door.... :eek:

11. Djs621 thread starter macrumors regular

I think their main goal is to secure you for an additional 2 years. regardless of missed payment.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Not true. A missed payment can definitely push your upgrade date back because it shows them you're probably not a customer they would want to keep. However, I don't think one missed payment will affect it that drastically since this is the iPhone we are talking about and not some other regular device. If this is your first time, don't sweat it and try to pay your bill on time from now on.

13. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Or trident layers...

14. Krandor macrumors 6502

Depends on why it isn't paid - is it because he doesn't have the money or was just absent-minded and/or not organized. You can have the money for a new phone but disorganized on paying bills.

15. EddyP macrumors 6502

I guess. But they wouldn't have this problem if it was just an occasional "damn I forgot to mail them a check".

16. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

How do you know this is not the case though?

17. EddyP macrumors 6502

Maybe it is. But evidently there is still an outstanding balance. Pay it. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't really care. But I don't think ATT is going to not offer any early upgrade because you mail a couple of bills late. I would think you have to carry a balance for a while or be late many times. But I don't know their policies.

18. Krandor macrumors 6502

mail? check? who does that anymore?

I actually had an issue with my cable company recently where I had signed up for automatic payment to my debit card and since it was setup did not even look at the statements. Well, the card expired, forgot to update them with the new card info and so the account went past due. Easy enough for stuff like that to happen.

----------

The OP never said he wasn't going to pay the balance. He was merely commenting on the wording of the statement. You are making a lot of assumptions.

19. EddyP macrumors 6502

I had the same mess with ATT setting up auto payments. Had a balance rollover to the following bill. All cleared up with the following bill. I can still upgrade with no problems.

Seems to me the OP wanted to upgrade before their contract ends in November. ATT isn't letting them. IMO it takes more than a one time screw up before they start not allowing early upgrades. Just my opinion. That's why I made the assumptions I did.

OP: If you want a new iPhone, you can probably add another line and buy a discounted phone. Then when your current contract expires, just ditch the original line and keep only the new iPhone.

20. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

We've been told several times that payment history does affect upgrades.