Upgrade Eligibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JuNxXxReY, Jul 8, 2008.

1. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

I've called three different Apple stores, and they've given me three different answers. Here's my situation: I'm eligible for an upgrade, but the account is NOT under my name. However, I am an authorized user, which I have confirmed with AT&T. My question is, would I still be able to go to the Apple store and purchase an iPhone on the day of the launch without the main account holder being there? Basically, would the main account holder need to be there or would they be able to verify with AT&T that I am an authorized user and sell me a phone? I would rather go to an Apple store for the launch than wait at an AT&T store and have them run out of stock. Thank you in advance.

2. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

I'm going to say yes BUT you'll need to know the account security code.

My g-ma and I are in a similar situation and although I'm authorized without the pin (her last four ssn digits) I can't make any changes or upgrade anything. Finely she gave it to me. haha. But yeah as long as you know the pin thing and are authorized on the account you'll be fine.

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

You would need new service with the new phone so the person who is in charge of the account has to be there (sorry to say an authorized user, aka someone on the family plan etc will not cut it - you have to be the one that signed the initial contract with AT&T - the main account holder is the only one authorized to make changes to the account, you can get around this with the PIN or SSN of that person possibly but I would double check first with Apple).

4. Espo macrumors 6502

If you are an authorized user you can purchase the phone without the main account user. I confirmed this w/ an ATT rep today.

5. jsands92 macrumors newbie

What answers did you receive?
    I am in the exact situation. The account is in my dad's name. I know his SSN, but I obviously can't present his Government ID

I called apple too and they said they couldn't even answer that at this time!!

UPDATE: Thanks ESPO for answer..
    How do you become "Authorized"? is that something special that requires notification to ATT or did that happen when my dad signed the contract in the first place?