Upgrade eligible line needs to be cancelled!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w00tme, Feb 14, 2012.

1. w00tme macrumors member

Hey everyone. I was wondering what you guys think about this situation:

I'm needing to cancel a line that is currently eligible for an upgrade. I asked ATT about transferring upgrade eligibility to another line and then cancelling the line, but they said that was not possible. They said that I can transfer the upgraded phone to another line. That means I have to renew the contract and buy a phone with the discount and transfer that phone to another line and then cancel and possibly getting hit with a cancellation fee. The rep told me that the fee was going to be $125 if I cancel before June of this year. That got me thinking... does the ETF decrease as time goes by? If I upgrade, will the ETF shoot up? It seems like i could recoup the ETF when selling the new 4S.

I already have a 4S, so I was originally intending to transfer eligibility to my line since my next upgrade will be May-ish of 2013, and I am wanting to get the next iphone whenever that may be. Now, I am just thinking about buying the phone, cancelling, paying the ETF, and selling it. However, if the ETF does shoot up, it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Thanks everyone!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Think about it, what you are wanting to do is literally the same as asking to just add a line so you can use that line's upgrade and then cancel it without an ETF. The upgrade eligibility exists with the requirement that you sign a two year contract. This is how they get the money back that they are discounting on the device. There is not going to be a way around this. You can either use the upgrade (and keep the line for another 24 months) or cancel the line all-together. Can't have both.

3. w00tme thread starter macrumors member

I guess the real issue is if the ETF will skyrocket after upgrading because $125 isn't so bad. However, if it goes to over $200 after upgrading, I might reconsider. :rolleyes:

(Note: I need to cancel this line FOR SURE, so I'm going to have to pay an ETF)

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

It will go to $350