Upgrade eligible theory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildcardd, Jun 16, 2008.

1. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

OK, here is the theory.

ATT is keeping mum on the "full price" of the iPhone for this reason. It will be 199/299.

They haven't announced this yet to reduce the amount of people going into the store and buying a subsidized phone now and then reselling it on eBay after they get their iPhone 3G.

Once the 3G is released and if the rumors of requiring activation of some sort in the store, the issue goes away as you are then locked into a contract.

The issue is to reduce losses between now and the release of the 3G phone. By not announcing the 199/299 eligiblility now, they reduce the "new contract discount eBay sellers".

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Sounds good, but I doubt it. It's still early in the game.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Good point. Probably true.
    The iPhone will not be sold retail in America for more than $199.

4. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with your theory.

Now I just hope we're correct. I figure since two countries have now announced the iPhone for free or £1, AT&T will either subsidize further or $199 is retail. But who knows...

5. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but those are with hefty monthly fees. :eek:

6. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

*slap* *slap* wake up!! you're dreaming!!
    Reduce loses of what between now and 3G being released?
    What would be the point of someone buying a 3G on ebay with your theory, when surely anybody could walk into a store and get it for the prices you quoted once that price has been announced?
    When would be a good time, according to your theory, for them to announce what the full price is? Because the way I see it, any time they announce that they will have the problem you described....sorry, unless I'm missing something, I just cant see how your theory works.

7. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not dreaming brother. Just a hunch. You may have misinterpreted my original post and what has occured in the past.

There are many people who are out to make a quick buck. Last year when the iPhone was announced, many people signed up for ATT, got a (lets say Blackberry for example) at a subsidy (lets say $100). They got a $200 subsidy on that phone for signing up for a 2 year contract. They then proceeded to sell that phone on eBay (or wherever) for $300 or more. Then bought the iPhone with no subsidy, but basically got 300 for turning their BB phone.

The same thing would happen right now if ATT said that they would allow anyone to purchase the iPhone at 199/299 rates.

I think you misunderstood. I was saying that this keeps people from signing up with ATT between now and July 11, and selling the phone they get (not iPhone since you cant buy it yet).

When they have their sh*% together. :D

Ideally for them, it would be July 11th. Although this would be unlikely. It would be closer to the July 11th date. The closer to the date, the less risk for them incur of the eBay reselling.

It may also be possible after they announce their "pre-activation" strategy that has been floating about. There is a read at AI about this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...y_be_able_to_complete_activation_at_home.html
    Here is a snippet:

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I think the op is referring to people doing what I did when I switched to AT&T - since the iPhone was not subsidized I got my free phone as a new customer and sold it on craigslist for $200 thereby reducing the price I paid for my iPhone. I'm not sure how delaying announcing the retail price would change the ability to do this, but I have a feeling everyone will get the iPhone for $199 because AT&T wants everyone on a data plan.

9. wildcardd thread starter macrumors 6502a

It won't stop people from doing this, but reduces the likelyhood of it happening. People try to make a quick buck on a "sure thing". This isn't a sure thing.

Think about it. If they say that you are upgrade ineligible for a iPhone if you signed up today, will you sign up? Not likely.

You can't plan on signing up, getting a cheap phone, only to sell it when the iPhone is released. Why? Because you don't know how much the full price of the iPhone is going to be.

Why wouldn't they announce the full price yet? Because it really will be 199/299. They just don't want YOU to know that yet.

Of course this is pure speculation. Just makes some sense.