"Upgrade" eMac Speakers

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 21, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I really don't think it's possible but I thought I'd ask.

Is it possible to put the HK Speakers from a 700/800MHz eMac into a USB 2.0 eMac?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, not possible -
    Unless you want to perform major modifications inside.
    Take both apart - you'll see the obstacles immediately.
    The space used by the speaker box is gone in the newer eMacs - so that nice bass just isn't there.
    But, even the newer eMacs have decent sound, compared to a lot of other computer standard speakers - just not as nice as the older models.

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I love the speakers in my first get eMac... I Use it as a juke box.

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Seems the sound quality has gone down on my eMac It's not as loud as it used to be and on a simular note it no longer chimes when powered on or restarted.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Do you get a boot chime after a PRAM reset?
    Restart while holding Option-Command-P and R. You may not hear the boot chime, but continue holding the same 4 keys for about 60 seconds. If you DO hear the boot chime, hold the keys until you hear the boot chime two more times (or about a minute, whichever is longer)
    On a side note - I always recommend checking for swelling capacitors, particularly on the USB 2.0 models. The swelling capacitors will cause a variety of issues over time. Remove the main cover, and the internal shield, which will allow you to see all the capacitors. Swelling (or even leaking brown goo from the caps) will be easy to see. There have been repair kits that will get the correct capacitors. Don't know if they are still available as a stock kit, it's been several years since I last looked for those.
    (found a parts kit, along with a simple picture that shows what swelling looks like! http://www.amazon.com/eMac-motherboard-Capacitors-repair-Kit/dp/B00FJRX35S )

Also, check or just replace the 1/2AA battery. They WILL go flat if the eMac has been in storage (unplugged)

6. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I am using a Windows USB keyboard Specifically a Lenovo KB1021 (USB NetVista according to System Profiler) so i have to use Windows Key instead of command.

So it would be: Alt-Window Key-P-R?

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Yes of course

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The 1/2AA is flat dead and it was one of the 1st things i changed when i bought it, less than a year later it was dead again. DId the PRAM still no chime

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Some Windows keyboards just don't match keycodes for the modifier keys, and don't necessarily respond to the initial boot commands. I have seen a couple that don't do anything until the system loads.

Do you get the boot picker screen if you hold the Alt key at boot?
    If you don't, then you need to try a different USB keyboard.

Another tip - open the bottom cover panel, and press and release the reset button (just once). Exact location depending on eMac model, you'll see it there in the opening.

10. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I dont ever recall seeing a "reset" button anywhere on a eMac. The boot menu DOES show up holding the alt key. The only USB keyboard i have that doesnt is a Logitech that is key coded for windows AND apple (has the :apple: key an whatnot).

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Reset button (known as PMU reset) on your USB 2.0 eMac:
    eMac upside down. Remove the access panel.
    Look for the memory slots. The battery is near the end of the slots. Other end - look for the silver square (about 1/4-inch in size), with round black button. Press and release that button (just once).
    If you have an older eMac, then the PMU reset button is same side as the battery, near the frame - but the button looks the same (black button on silver square.)

The PMU reset will reset a number of settings, such as CRT size and position, the clock will reset to defaults, etc.

If you plug in headphones (or external speakers) then restart - do you get a boot chime through the headphones?