Upgrade envy versus buyer's remorse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Morrius, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Morrius macrumors member

I find myself lusting after the new generation of MacBooks. I currently have an old iBook laptop which is a touch on the slow side, and a big desktop machine which I use for WoW and for it's much bigger hard drive. My mom is using a positively ancient Windows 98 box that can best be described as a Franken-computer. It's quite quirky and unpredictable, to say the least.

I have been strongly considering buying a new MacBook, giving my mom the desktop machine, and saving the old iBook as a back-up. That would give me the convenience of having everything on one machine, and I like the portability of a laptop. Money's not an issue either, and mom is interested in trying a Mac. I figure I can take advantage of the big screen to make it more readable for her.

What I'm getting hung up on is thinking about the next upgrade to i7, as well as Snow Leopard. I've also been hearing all kinds of horror stories about the new MB's, from washed out displays to slanted keys to battery covers that don't fit right, and I really do not want to buy something that's flawed.

So, what would you do in my situation?

2. bananabar macrumors regular

I'd get the cheapest MacBook. It hasn't had the new and fairly awful design 'update' but is still way newer and faster than your current one. And the price is a steal!

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

why spend 900 on something that is just adequate and looked at as a "okay laptop" when you can spend 400 more and get the latest macbook that will last you a good 4-6 years easy.

I understand if the base white macbook was now going for 500 or so, but its still 900..thats alot... just go for the new one.

As for wanting the new operating system...that probably wont be around for months and months..so if you are so worried about that now...not sure what to tell you.

4. northy014 macrumors regular

I wouldn't call the design of the Aluminium (English) MacBook awful. I think it looks pretty good. How long do you reckon your iBook will last? If it'll keep going for a while then you might as well hang onto it for a few weeks until they've solved some of these QC problems.

I also doubt these QC problems are as widespread as people are making out. Any member of a mac forum is going to be far more demanding and vocal than the majority of the population. I would guess that Apple has already sold 3/4 million of these things, and so the complaints we are hearing about is from this vocal minority.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Exactly. I find this forum to be full of anal-retentive buyers who will complain - loudly - over the most minor things. Witness the thread about "my MacBook has two tiny, barely perceptible imperfections in the aluminum. My camera won't pick them up because they're so small, but I yelled at the manager anyway!"