Upgrade existing SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mankymanning, Aug 7, 2012.

1. mankymanning macrumors regular

I have a mid 2011 i7 iMac with the 256GB SSD. There is a definite difference between it and the speed of my MBP which runs a Crucial M4.

If I wanted to upgrade the existing SSD inside my iMac is it a straight swap or would I need to muck around with fan control cables etc? Do the Apple supplied SSDs have some sort of extra sensor on them?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're upgrading it because of the speed difference you should re-think your strategy. The difference might be because you are comparing two different machines.

3. mankymanning thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so I now wish to attempt this due to space issues as the original 256GB drive is too small. Do I just follow the normal SSD upgrade videos but when I get to the installation part just replace the existing SSD rather than fitting a bracket etc?

4. macthefork macrumors 6502

You could do that... Or, you could get a kit and add a second SSD to the second SATA connector on your Logic Board, leaving the original Apple SSD in place. The second SSD would fit behind your Optical Drive.

I don't know if the Apple SSD have the same sensor as HDDs.

5. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

If you do replace the stock SSD, here's a threat about shorting the temp sensor to keep the fan in check:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808178&

I suppose if there's a temp sensor on the extra SATA plug, you could do the same, but I don't think there is.

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

Nope, there isn't a heat sensor requirement on the second SATA connector. I can verify that, since I've added a SSD to this connector with no fan problem whatsoever.