Upgrade existing SSD

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
I have a mid 2011 i7 iMac with the 256GB SSD. There is a definite difference between it and the speed of my MBP which runs a Crucial M4.

If I wanted to upgrade the existing SSD inside my iMac is it a straight swap or would I need to muck around with fan control cables etc? Do the Apple supplied SSDs have some sort of extra sensor on them?

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Okay so I now wish to attempt this due to space issues as the original 256GB drive is too small. Do I just follow the normal SSD upgrade videos but when I get to the installation part just replace the existing SSD rather than fitting a bracket etc?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
You could do that... Or, you could get a kit and add a second SSD to the second SATA connector on your Logic Board, leaving the original Apple SSD in place. The second SSD would fit behind your Optical Drive.

I don't know if the Apple SSD have the same sensor as HDDs.

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
...I suppose if there's a temp sensor on the extra SATA plug, you could do the same, but I don't think there is.
Nope, there isn't a heat sensor requirement on the second SATA connector. I can verify that, since I've added a SSD to this connector with no fan problem whatsoever.