Upgrade family line then switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmms8, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hello, i have a family plan with 4 lines. one line is eligible to upgrade and i plan on getting the iphone with that line. that particular line is my moms and she does not care for the iPhone.

Does anyone know if i can upgrade her line and get the iPhone..... come home, cancel the unlimied data plan on her line, and add unlimited data plan on my line, and use my sim in the iPhone? Please let me know, thanks in advance!!

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Short answer is NO.

What you really need to do is have the phone numbers switched on the lines after you upgrade her line to the iPhone 3G. This can be done in the AT&T store or over the phone with a CSR. I would normally suggest you get this done in the store but with all the iPhone 3G churn. I would suggest you get this done over the phone.

3. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Thank you for suggesting that i switch her number with mine afterwards, but why will it not work if i just switch the data plans? i am just wondering, thanks!

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

You can't just switch the data plans. For example; her data plan is a specific iPhone 3G data plan and is only valid on a iPhone 3G line of service. When you try to cancel the data plan on your mothers line, they will not do it!

Also, you will not be able to add a iPhone 3G data plan to your line of service, it is not valid on any other plans.

5. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

I see, thank you for being of great help. All i have to do is call ATT and they will "switch" the numbers no problems? Thanks in advance!