upgrade for beige g3

iameatingjam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Well I just received this beast in the mail and 9.2.2 is running okay but not as well as I had hoped, especially at 1024 x 768 resolution.

I imagine that the 2MB of VRAM from the 3D Rage II+ is holding it back. Would a nice old radeon 7000 increase performance? ( and work...?)

I can't see how any more ram would do much good, already have 320MB. Definitely don't want to drop more than $20, so a cpu upgrade is out of the question.

Also, it would be nice to play nanosaur again.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I should think that would help. Have you restored the system since you got it? That is the first thing I always do to systems I but used. It could be pretty bugged down, and before you buy anything, I would restore it.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I'm doing a CPU and GPU upgrade for my B&W. Doing it as we speak! I got a 450MHz FastMac CPU upgrade for $15, a Radeon 9200 128MB card for $15, then shipping for both was $15. $45 total, may have been a drop in the bucket but we'll see if it was worth it!

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I'm doing a CPU and GPU upgrade for my B&W. Doing it as we speak! I got a 450MHz FastMac CPU upgrade for $15, a Radeon 9200 128MB card for $15, then shipping for both was $15. $45 total, may have been a drop in the bucket but we'll see if it was worth it!
Is this part of your video series?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I'd suggest a Rage 128 or Radeon 7000 PCI for that little guy. My beige desktop G3 had a VooDoo II installed when I got it, so I never ran the internal graphics, but I can imagine how tough that would be. As another poster said, the 9200 is a nifty PCI Mac card (got one in a blue and white) but I don't know if it works in a beige G3. Since it doesn't support Quartz or any Core Image, I really dont say its worth much more than a 7000.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Well I just received this beast in the mail and 9.2.2 is running okay but not as well as I had hoped, especially at 1024 x 768 resolution.

I imagine that the 2MB of VRAM from the 3D Rage II+ is holding it back. Would a nice old radeon 7000 increase performance? ( and work...?)

I can't see how any more ram would do much good, already have 320MB. Definitely don't want to drop more than $20, so a cpu upgrade is out of the question.

Also, it would be nice to play nanosaur again.

Thanks for the help!
I have a Rage 128 i'd be willing to send to you for the price of shipping. I don't know if it works, so If you are wanting to take that bet, I'm totally up for it.

iameatingjam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
I have a Rage 128 i'd be willing to send to you for the price of shipping. I don't know if it works, so If you are wanting to take that bet, I'm totally up for it.
Hey thanks man, I really appreciate it. Do you have any reason to believe it doesn't work? I live out in Canada and assuming your from the US that could be a fair priced risk.

You're right! gThirtyFour as someone tagged it. I have Day 1 and 2 to edit, as soon as my dad gives me my Mac Pro back :rolleyes:
Cool, I would definitely be interested in watching that.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Hey thanks man, I really appreciate it. Do you have any reason to believe it doesn't work? I live out in Canada and assuming your from the US that could be a fair priced risk.

Cool, I would definitely be interested in watching that.

I haven't tested it, so just saying. I might pop it into my PowerMacG5 but I don't think it will work. I have another PC with PCI around here.... And yes, I am in the US. I'll test it today when I'm off work.

EDIT: Turns out, I don't have a computer to test it in (my G4 needs a new mono) the card itself is missing the heat spreader and the PCI bracket. It might be best to get one from here: http://www.pcliquidations.com/p4919-ati-rage-128-pro?r160164167166161. Thats exactly what I have, only without the spreader/bracket. Here is the current state of my card:

Not too pretty. But if you really wanted mine, I'd put another heat spreader on it and reapply the thermal compound.

EDIT AGAIN: My card is the pro, what you need is the GL. Heres a GL off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Rage-128-GL-Graphic/dp/B003ATQCN2

Last edited:

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
@128keaton maybe clean up thermal paste on that chip? Just some advise-if you reapply a the thermal paste, make sure there is no trace of the old paste, otherwise the card will heat up more.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
What are you going to use the system for?

If pure "nostalgia computing" then a PCI Radeon card would be good solely to allow access to higher color depths on resolutions that modern monitors use. Other than that, a replacement hard drive would be good, simply because the hard drive in there is old and slow. If you can get a Mac-boot-compatible PCI SATA card cheap, that would be your best bet.

Also, as Intell also noted, the card pictured is an AGP card, and won't work in a G3, as G3s only have PCI slots.

iameatingjam1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
What are you going to use the system for?

If pure "nostalgia computing" then a PCI Radeon card would be good solely to allow access to higher color depths on resolutions that modern monitors use. Other than that, a replacement hard drive would be good, simply because the hard drive in there is old and slow. If you can get a Mac-boot-compatible PCI SATA card cheap, that would be your best bet.

Also, as Intell also noted, the card pictured is an AGP card, and won't work in a G3, as G3s only have PCI slots.
Its pretty much for nostalgia yeah, for games I grew up on. I didn't really want a modern monitor just to have that 'old' feel. I originally got a CRT monitor but it turned green at 640x480... the whole reason I got it was better low resolution support, damn. Maybe the new video card will fix that.

It has a 40GB hard drive, so its not the original one. I didn't think it to be much of a bottleneck. Would a sata drive through PCI really be much faster than IDE?

I know I need a pci card, thanks!

ifrit05

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
...Would a sata drive through PCI really be much faster than IDE?
Definitely considering the Beige G3's IDE controller max speed was about 16.7MB/s (ATA-2), and only supported drives up to 128GB.

Even getting a Mac compatible Bootable IDE PCI 133 card would be a considerable jump in speed (ATA-6, 133MB/s).