Upgrade for G4 700 flat screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dulcitone, Aug 30, 2009.

1. dulcitone macrumors newbie

So, it's time to admit that my "half dome", G4 700 isn't cutting it, in this age of You Tube and other huge downloads. I'm getting the "stop and start" thing, most of the time, when I try to play a short video. I've got what I'm told is the maximum RAM, 512 MB, and, of course, the stock 700 MHz processor. The question is, can my computer be upgraded? I've been told that the answer is no, but I thought I'd check with the best minds (that's you) before I scrap it and go to a 21st century machine.
    Appreciate any advice you can give me, and thanks.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

There are third party companies that can install new CPU's on it, but for the price you wouldn't be happy with the difference in performance. You can install as much as 1gb of memory, but Flash player will still tax your memory AND cpu.

I understand, in my days of fixing and upgrading macs I've seen the most respectable PowerPC buckle under the mighty Flash player, all I wanna say is that they don't really care about us. With Windows, Flash is a different story but under MacOS it just acts so greedy.

I think it's time for an Intel inside....your heart :eek:

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The specs have details on upgradability. It looks like it can take up to 1 GB of memory.