Upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 without CD-drive or USB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CyRus2273, Mar 19, 2010.

1. CyRus2273 macrumors newbie

Hey all
    New to the forum, so hope this is the correct area, in which I post this question.

I recently acquired Snow Leopard, and wanted to do the upgrade from my current Leopard. I, however, am using a Macbook Air, without a superdrive, and I don't want to invest in a big enough USB-disk or whatever, to do the upgrade that way. I searched the web a bit, and found that this could be done via creating a new partition and placing the the .dmg on there. I however couldn't get this to work, as I was told that there wasn't enough space to create the partition.

I want to ask, if some kind soul, would be so nice as to post a guide on this subject, so I can get the upgrade done.

Thx in advance
    CyRus2273

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

It's very simple to install a .dmg if you have it. Just..open it, and it will install.

3. CyRus2273 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can not just install it via the .dmg. It tells me to burn in out to a dvd. I have to do it via a second partition.
    If you have no input on this topic, please stop spamming this thread, with meaningless comments.

CyRus2273

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'm sorry to have questioned the validity of a .dmg of SL that you acquired when Apple doesn't make their OS available for download.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Good way to ask for help . . .

6. CyRus2273 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Batt

He obviously upset me, implying that my version was pirated. This is not a good way to greet new members. He has since removed that comment, and apologized, so all is forgotten

Let's move on from here, and get some actually inputs on the issue:
    How can I upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 via a partition?

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Do you have more than 8gb of free space?

It sounds like you don't have enough space to do the partition. You may have to get a USB stick for this.

8. CyRus2273 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have about 20 gb of free space, so this is not the issue. There is some issue with the space though, I might not be doing it right; hence the need for a guide.
    Thx for your response

CyRus2273