Upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.4.11 problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thischarmingman, Jun 24, 2008.

1. thischarmingman macrumors newbie

I have recently upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.11
    I didn't see the option of wiping my harddrive clean with the install (I was expecting this to happen automatically). All of my original programs remain, but my old version of Microsoft Office v. X is having issues (not enough memory to copy and paste in a Word document?!)
    I have downloaded two updates for Office X from Microsoft.com (10.1.7 and 10.1.8 updates). I also downloaded a security update that wouldn't install because it could not find the correct version of the software.
    Should I get Office 2008 or reinstall Tiger? Any other advice about upgrading from Panther to Tiger would he appreciated.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I always recommend a clean install when upgrading from one major version of an operating system to the next. There are options which would allow you to keep your data intact such as music files, documents, etc. More problems are caused by the upgrade process which in the long haul waste time and generate lots of grey hair. :(

With that in mind, I would start over and clean install Tiger. As for MS Office 2008, it would probably be somewhat of a disappointment in that IMO, it's slow. I have Office 2007 on a Win machine which runs circles around my Office 2008. If you think you need to upgrade your copy of Office, look around for Office 2004 instead.

Or, maybe better yet, iWork 2008, NeoOffice, or Bean (only a WP).

Regards.