Upgrade from 10.3.9 to 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asharp, Dec 29, 2007.

1. asharp macrumors newbie

I have an emac running 10.3.9. I have purchased the Leopard upgrade disk. Is it safe for me to upgrade directly to 10.5 without backing up first? Also, I have not been able to find a back up utility in the emac utility folder, or anywhere else on the machine -- where is it?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do the archive and install rather than the upgrade. It just seems to have created fewer problems for most people than an upgrade install.

At the very minimum, depending on folder size, try and burn the Users folder to a DVD or copy it to an iPod or other external drive.

4. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I would be careful as all the eMacs where I work are below the spec for Leopard and it won't install on them at all.

Before you do it, back up. I used SuperDuper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html)and an external drive.

5. iGav macrumors G3

I'm not certain on this, but I thought that the Leopard Upgrade DVD's will only upgrade Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger installations and not earlier versions of OS X. e.g. 10.3.

Seem to recall reading that on the literature that came with the Leopard Drop-In-Kit with my brothers iMac.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're going from Panther to Leopard, you're almost certainly going to experience some pretty significant slowdowns in your setup. I'd advise against it, but in the end, it's your time, and it's your computer. I'd create a bootable clone via CCC, and make sure it works (as you'll almost certainly have to use it if/when Leopard doesn't) before going ahead.

7. asharp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. Very clear and helpful advice.

I'll start the new year off with your advice....

8. rhyndu macrumors regular

That will cause problems. Does it say "Drop-In" on it? Where did you purchase it? And did it come in a elegant looking box with a manual etc etc?

If it says drop-in on the disk, you are doomed.