Upgrade from 10.4.11 to Snow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by srfval, Sep 18, 2009.

1. srfval macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I want to upgrade from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard.
    Is it possible or i have to upgrade to Leopard (10.5.xx) first?

I have SOOO many things installed and i do not wish to lose them.

And something else, I use it for serious FullHD Editing with AJA Kona3, do u think i should upgrade???

Thanks!

2. dyn macrumors 68030

Backup first, than install Snow Leopard. The default action of the installer is to upgrade the OS X that is already installed on the drive (either Tiger or Leopard). If the machine is an old ppc Mac you can't use Snow Leopard since it requires an Intel Mac. In that case go for Leopard.

3. srfval thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer dyn,

It is an Intel based but the one with the 2 dual core cpu.
    I'll try your solution to backup first.
    Got any suggestions for backup software?
    Carbon Copy Cloner will do the work?

Thanks!

4. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Yes, Carbon Copy Cloner will work just fine, backup, install a FRESH installation of SL, then copy your stuff back off the cloned drive. I'd keep the cloned drive around for a month or two if I was you, just in case you run into problems with SL down the road :)

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great one, it can do an entire diskdump which is very useful! You could also use Disk Utility to do so but I think CCC is a greater product to use (and it's free).

Snow Leopard on the Core Duo will work but you won't be able to run any 64 bit software since the Core Duo has no 64 bit extensions (aka the hardware does not support 64 bit). I've got it running on an old MacBook from 2006 with the Core Duo and it runs great with Snow Leopard.

6. Ricoc0op macrumors newbie

Just from my experience, going from Tiger to SL was very unreliable when I upgraded my friend. I went from Leopard to SL and everything was fine (but my Leopard was a clean install).

I think the safest way is to do a clean install and then copy back what you need. Apparently the main reason for SL problems when upgrading from Tiger is old apps that give SL trouble and slow everything down.

Of course I know what a pain it would be to reinstall the big stuff - like when I had to reinstall final cut studio