Upgrade from 10.4.11?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pencilpieces, Nov 1, 2012.

1. pencilpieces macrumors newbie

I don't understand how this works...
    I'm on a 10.4.11 and need to upgrade, seeing as I can't even update to the latest version of itunes and there's a whole host of security issues that keep popping up.

What do I need to do for that? (Does 10.4.11 even have an animal name?) Do I need a snow leopard? Where could I get it from?

Sorry for such a basic question (which I've prob put in the wrong forum) but I'm not sure where to look.

edit: I don't have the time to look for an answer...

Merci.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It would help if you stated the model and specifications of the Mac you want to upgrade.

3. simsaladimbamba

10.4.11 is the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, thus it has a name.

The latest version of iTunes needs Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, thus you need to find a way to purchase Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard via Apple (contact number is floating around somewhere here, at least for US citizens) or Amazon and eBay.

As for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard working, you at least need an Intel Mac to do so.

And as for proper searching, see my signature, thus you can safe time in the future.

4. pencilpieces thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your replies.

It says here I'm on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with a 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM...

I went here http://www.apple.com/uk/support/snowleopard/ to have a look, and apart from actually giving them a ring, couldn't find anything. And yes, I'm traveling away from UK at the mo, so I can't afford to ring the number provided.

Is purchasing from Amazon or Ebay safe?

Yes, I am a luddite with a black MacBook.

thanks again

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Amazon or eBay would be very expensive. You have enough RAM for Snow Leopard. Call Apple's toll free number and order it for $19. There isn't a better way to get it right now, if they have any left. Hurry!

Oops! I'm not sure if that number works outside of the U.S.

6. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Talk to these guys, a great resource for mac parts and bits n bobs.

http://www.thebookyard.com/mac_system_software.php?manufacturers_id=31

7. pencilpieces thread starter macrumors newbie

So to sum up, my best bet is to call 0800 048 0408 (cos I'm uk based) and hope for the best? :)

I'll certainly give it a go.
    edit: Thank you CASLondon, that also looks like a good option!

My poor Macbook, it's already had its battery replaced once (in 2010, i think), it's had coins inside the disk drive which I've painstakingly extracted out of sheer love... and I can't seem to part with it.

Although it might be worth saving a few pennies and investing in a new Mac, to keep this one as back up. When I get a chance,I'll have a look around the forum for more info.

----------

oh, i'm curious now, can anyone tell me when my mac dates from based on the info above?
    is it a core 2 duo late 2006, core 2 duo mid 2007 or core duo early 2006...?

8. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

This is your machine....

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.16-black-13-mid-2007-specs.html

If you are keeping this as main computer, might want to max out the RAM for sure and consider a SSD as upgrade options to keep it fresh and useful.