Upgrade from 10.6.8 question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paulsenglish, Oct 29, 2012.

1. paulsenglish macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.6.8 on a late 2007 MacBook. It has a newish 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, as the last one was clunky and painfully slow.

It's still slow, so not sure if the HD was the whole problem. Can anyone advise because Apple couldn't !!

Anyway, to upgrade to 10.7 at least, it needs 2gb of memory, so say the General Requirements.

Can I simply put in an extra 1gb of the right type of memory (DDR2 SD RAM) and go ? Is there space ?

Thanks

Paul

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If that's a MacBook 3,1 model, it came with two 512MB RAM chips installed in the only two slots available. So the answer to your question is "no".

If you're going to upgrade to 10.7.5 (the maximum OS possible in that model), I would say that 2GB wouldn't even be enough.

According to Everymac.com, "*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module."

I say that if it can be done (6GB), you should do it. Should cost you $120 or less.

3. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie

Upgrade from 10.6.8 question

Thanks, Brian

I get the picture clearly.

I'll look at getting the memory I need.

Paul

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

One caveat...check to see if any of the applications on which you rely are PowerPC based. Lion will not run those.

5. paulsenglish thread starter macrumors newbie