Upgrade from 15" MBP 2.2ghz (June 2007) or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zombieflanders, Aug 4, 2009.

1. zombieflanders macrumors member

I'm starting to get the upgrade itch again, with the added "pressure" of my cousin looking for a new laptop that will last 2 years or so. She's looking at the $999 MB, but my Santa Rosa 15" MBP with almost a year's worth of Applecare left seems to have roughly the same specs, and I'd sell it to her for ~$500. I'm still trying to figure out of it's a good idea or not, but I'm leaning ever-so-slightly for the new laptop (15" mid/high, possibly 17"). As they say, always put together a pros and cons list, so here's mine:

Pros:
    + I get a new laptop ;) and help a relative on a tight budget
    + Faster processor (and easier to run 64-bit OSes)
    + Better graphics
    + More HD space
    + Longer battery life
    + Lighter (unless I have to go 17" for anti-glare)

Cons:
    - Only 17" has anti-glare (heavier and I'd need a new laptop bag)
    - Non-user battery replacement makes me a little twitchy
    - I keep on hearing about Arrandale being a big deal
    - Don't want to saddle my cousin with potential 8600M problems (although I haven't had any)
    - Blu-ray drives possible next year

FWIW, I'm not doing HD video editing or anything like that, most of the power is used for mobile gaming (Steam) under Boot Camp w/Windows 7 RC or video streaming/playback including HD. And I'm not sure what, if any, benefits Arrandale would bring to a more casual user like me. Blu-ray would be cool, but I already have a Blu-ray player for my home theater, although a burner (however unlikely) would be sweet. However, I haven't had much experience with glossy screens, and I've yet to check one out at an Apple Store, but if it ends up being a big deal I'm limited to only the 17". And although my employer provides interest-free "layaway" for Apple purchases, being limited to the top-tier laptop would give me pause.

With all of that in mind, what would you say?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say hold off and wait for the arrandale/clarksfield MBPs

While I did take the plunge myself and replaced my 07 MBP with a unibody MBP it was last year and I think the clock is ticking on when intel releases the mobile versions of the Nehalem processor.

3. CoreyMac macrumors regular

The non-removeable battery is not a minus at all. You do realize these batteries last nearly as long as 2 batteries would in your MBP. My Santa Rosa would get a good 3 hours or so on a full charge.....I get 6 hours now no problem with the non-removeable.

I was also itchy for an upgrade so I bought the highest end one so it has the best resale value if next years update is really worthwhile. I bought the 2.8GHz, 4GB, 500GB, 512MB 9600M June 2009 15" UMPB....If next years model comes with the newer cpu's, blu-ray, 9800M's then I'll surely sell this one for $1700 or so and put in the difference....otherwise this is a damn good piece of hardware that I could use for years to come

4. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Just wait. The 9600 will not blow away your 8600 in games.

Your CPU is already 64-bit.

You can always upgrade your hard drive for more space.

You will hardly notice any major performance advantage of a faster CPU if you are not doing video encoding and serious number crunching. You would squeeze 10-20% more frames per second in games, but is this really worth the big investment of a new machine? If I still had my SR MBP, I'd hold out for the next major MBP update.

5. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

That is a pretty optimistic resale value figure.

6. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I say wait a bit more. Your MBP is still powerful enough to handle pretty much anything you want to do on it. I'm using a slightly older model than yours (January '07), and it still works great. All I've done is upgrade the RAM to 3GB and the hard disk with one I purchased from Newegg (320 GB).

WoW runs fine, albeit not as nice as one of the faster video cards - but still does the job.
    Everything else is fine too. Wait if you can. I know those UB's can look sexy - but wait!
    I know I'll wait a year or two more before I replace mine. :)

7. CoreyMac macrumors regular

Not really, because I'd include the 3 year applecare with it......

I just sold a 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM 2008 AlumBook with AppleCare for $1000. $500 less than I paid for it...and this was after the June 2009 refresh.

8. pier macrumors 6502

pier

I have exactly the same mbp as you.

I upgraded to 4Gb of RAM (DDR2 667Mhz is pretty cheap those days).

I upgraded the HD to a Seagate 320Gb 7200rpm 16Mb cache. It's very easy. Take a look at ifixit.com. Don't know if it will break your apple care though.

The unibody is sexy, very sexy... but the truth is I won't get such an improvement in power. Of course you get a better battery, screen, and touchpad... but those are not critical.

I'd say patience. Selling that beast for 500$ is sacrilege... and the new intel processors are coming.