Upgrade from 1st gen iPod touch or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JoshJosh117, Feb 10, 2010.

1. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

I am planning to sell my 1st gen 16 gb iPod touch and my white Nintendo DS lite (with games) so I can buy a new 3rd gen 32gb touch. Is this a good idea, or would I be better off waiting for the 4th gen touch? Some of the things I need are better battery life (sometimes I only get a few hours of life when browsing the internet), the speakers, and the faster processors/graphics. Will these things be worth it as it is? Is the battery life any better and by how much? (when browsing internet)

2. racketeer71 macrumors regular

3. JoshJosh117 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have a 32GB 1st Gen iPod touch. Still works fine. Battery life is good.

Last fall I purchased an iPhone 3Gs 32GB because I needed a new cell phone. Had I not purchased an iPhone, I might entertain the idea of getting a 4th Gen iPod touch but not the current model as there is no compelling reason for me to do so.

So my advice would be to wait until September when the new iPods are released, unless you really want a new iPod touch now. If so, then I say go for it as September is still 6 months away.

5. JoshJosh117 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even know the 1st gen had a 32gb model...

6. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I've got a 8g G1 Touch. The only thing I really miss having is the built in speaker- which I find useful for Sling and podcasts. Battery life is great as is it's thiner form factor- in fact I like it better than the G2.

I picked up a 3GS last year also so that's holding me over for now when I need/want to use the built in speaker.

There is certainly a noticeable speed diff between the 3GS and G1 Touch. I expect the G3 touch - with the faster processor speed would be even more apparent.

I agree with the other posters thoughts- that at this point you might wait until the next update comes out. Given the lack of a camera, I could see Apple doing some sort of mid-cycle update this spring (but that's a total guess).

7. krimsen macrumors member

+1

Ask yourself what the new Touch offers something worthwhile over your current one. For me, that would be nothing right now.

8. JoshJosh117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone who's used both 1st and 3rd gen tell me whether there is a significant difference in batter life? Like I said before, a few hours of internet use isn't good enough for me. Who knows, maybe my battery is defective.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. Very good point.

Personally, before I would go with a 4th Gen iPod touch, I would definitely check out the iPad. The iPad is looking better all the time.

10. JoshJosh117 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPad looks great and the battery life is claimed to be much better, but it's not as portable and you can't really keep it in your pocket.