Upgrade From 1st Gen To 3G Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikehockenballs, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mikehockenballs macrumors member

mikehockenballs

I have been away from iphone stuff recently choosing to use the Blackberry Storm but I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade my original 1st gen iphone to the latest software that is in the 3G iphone?

I realise that I will not be able to use GPS or cut and paste etc... but would like the latest firmware to run on my old iphone.

I have read quite a few of the posts here but not found exactly what I want to do with my iphone etc...

My iphone is unlocked and I am on Orange UK network.

If this is possible could someone tell me what version of firmware I would need and also what version of itunes I would need to get it all sorted, then I could and search for them and give it a go.

I have restored to different versions of firmware before so I am fairly competent at doing this stuff.
    My iphone is currently running 1.1.1 firmware and itunes says that i can update to 2.2.1 firmware but I am not sure if I will loseor lock up my iphone if I do this.
    I am currently using itunes version 7.

I have d/l this file already >> 'iPhone1,1_3.0_7A300g_Restore2G2.ipsw' but it says in the readme file that I need to activate my 'UDID' or it will be locked until a final release is available, but I am not sure what this means?

Any advice or tips would be very welcome please!

Cheers!

2. actorkid macrumors 6502

original iphones are completely capable of upgrading to the 3.0 software for free.

you will get every feature of the software on the 3G (including copy and paste...don't know where you heard you wouldnt be able to use that) EXCEPT MMS and A2DP

just plug your phone into itunes on june 17th and you're good to go

3. actorkid macrumors 6502

one more thing

about unlocking and stuff

i dont know if the 3.0 software jailbreak has been released yet, but your original iphone will always be unlockable once a jailbreak is released

if you want to upgrade to 2.2.1 only, there is already a jailbreak and unlock program out there...just restore your phone, upgrade to 2.2.1 for free, then rejailbreak and unlock

4. mikehockenballs thread starter macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Wow! That sounds too good to be true!

Thanks for your reply 'actorkid'!

But will I have to upgrade to 2.2.1 first or just leave it til June 17th and go straight to 3.0? And will I have to install itunes 8.2 for it to work?

I would prefer to just do the jalbreaking and unlocking once if possible, and I also thought that once my iphone was unlocked it was unlocked for good no matter what version of firmware I used.

Is that file that I mentioned in my first post any good or should I just wait til June 17th?

Thanks!

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

i would just wait for the final release of 3.0 to be released to the public on the 17th...yes you will need to download itunes 8.2 for this upgrade

honestly, I'm not 100% sure about whether or not unlocking stays with the phone...is it unlocked by apple? or did you unlock it yourself?

im sure a jailbreak for 3.0 will surface soon after its release

6. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I would lock, update (on or after the 17th) and then unlock it once people figure out the new process.