Upgrade from 2.16ghz 17 CD to 2.5ghz C2D worth 2k?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edstorm, May 14, 2008.

  1. edstorm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #1
    I presently have a 2.16ghz cd macbook pro 17inch with 2gb ram and 256mb video ram.

    Is it worth the performance increase to upgrade to the new 2.5 ghz c2d with 4gb ram and hires display and maybe 200gb 7200rpm/512 mb graphics? This would cost me around 2600 with tax and I am juggling it now.

    I use this system mostly for work and i use lots of windows virtualization software. Parallels mainly.

    Any thoughts and advice would be good. Thanks.

    I don't really game on the macbook pro but I would like to :)

    Another quick question too. Are the new macbook pros really 4gb?? or is it less than that.
     
  2. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    #2
    Do you find your MBP to be inadequate or slow? 2GB of RAM and 256MB video is still good by todays standards. I would say wait a little longer if you really feel like you need to upgrade. Your MBP has already taken most of the depreciation and it's not going to drop in value as it did the first 2 years.

    The Monteniva that's coming along with the rumored complete redesign for the MBP will be more than worth the wait. It might just be here in June!

    Again it's your money. If your mac runs well, I would say keep your $2000 for something else or wait until your mac falls short in some way. If you must upgrade wait another month or two for the new MBP coming :)

    Kan-O-Z
     
  3. edstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #3
    Yeah,

    My biggest issue is my bro is quitting from his apple job and I won't be able to use his 25% discount.

    Is the upgraded mac in june going to be a big improvement?
     
  4. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #4
    It is definitely not worth it.

    Especially if the current one fits your needs. Wait for the possible redesign. 25% off full retail is a great deal, but it's not worth it to spend $1500 on something you don't need just because it'll cost $2000 later.
     
  5. edstorm thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #5
    Well, like i said, I do a lot of virtualization and the 2gb is not really cutting it. Its pretty slow nowadays when I work with both the parrallels image and apple.

    I would also like to do more graphic intensive stuff as well. I am hoping the new graphics card would help in that regards.

    The system works fine but I feel I need the extra ram and its a pity that I can't get the ram upgraded in my model.

    So pretty much, I would be paying 2k for the extra 2gb ram, faster hard drive, bigger resolution screen and double the video ram.

    I could also probably sell my existing laptop for 1.5k so my guess is that the upgrade would cost me 1k.

    Still deciding though....
     
  6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

    chaosbunny

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Location:
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    #6
    I'd hang on to what you have until mid next year, when the mbps go quad core. :)
     
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #7
    It sounds to me like you would make good use of the new model. When you
    factor in the 25% discount that will disappear soon, I say buy. As you say, once you sell the old one, the new one won't be quite as painful on the wallet.

    Of course, it really matters how tight money is.
     
  8. MattZani macrumors 68030

    MattZani

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    y ally makes you want the new one, you could still probably sell your new one for more than you overall paid for it.
     
  9. kockgunner macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #9
    you already had the laptop for so long, why not just wait a couple of months and see what apple comes out with next?
     

Share This Page