Upgrade from 2 to 4 g of ram for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Edwardz, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Edwardz macrumors regular

I have 2 g's of ram in my mbp 2.4. You think upgrading to 4 g's would be relevant to leopard's release? You think I'll actually see a huge improvement?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

No idea. Buy it and use it, and if it chokes, buy more.

But you should be fine with 2GB. Many users here are running on 1GB or more, and they are fine. I have 1.5GB in my MacBook, and I don't feel the RAM is the bottleneck of the system.

3. RodySt macrumors newbie

Unless you are a very heavy user, 2 GB will be fine.
    I have 2 GB and have never run out of memory, mostly up to 1.5 GB when a lot of apps are open.

Leopard doesn't require much more memory than Tiger, it isn't going from XP to Vista ;)

I recommend 2GB and use it for a while - see if it's enough (it is probably).

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

4Gb is unnecessary atm...unless you do intensive 3D or movie apps

2Gb is perfect for everything else atm...in fact i'm thinking of upgrading both my macs to 2Gb soon:)

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree with the others there is no need to upgrade just because of Leopard. However if you are running intensive applications and fellt hat ram is a bottleneck (can check in activity monitor in the memory tab look for page outs compared to page ins) then upping the ram will help.

What do you use your mac for?
    What is the ratio of page ins to page outs?

6. Edwardz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the inputs. I think I will stay a 2 g's right now, and if I really think it's a problem then I will upgrade. I do a lot of audio production on my mbp, but 2 g's is working fine atm. We'll see though. Thanks [:.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

4GB is also good if you plan to run another operating system such as Vista/XP/Linux in a virtual session. You can give it a nice chunk of memory and your Mac can still have the memory it needs to do Mac stuff.