Upgrade from 2G to 3GS: How to keep my number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rfs, Jun 18, 2009.

1. rfs macrumors newbie

My apologies if this has already been answered - I scanned the first few pages of posts and didn't see anything relevant.

I currently have a 2G, and I have a 3GS coming via UPS (tomorrow, hopefully).

I'd like to have my current (2G) phone number on the 3GS, and then sell my 2G.

What do I have to do to do this? Is there any SIM-swapping involved or will I just be able to specify the old number when activating the new phone?

Once that's done, and I reset the 2G, can anyone just buy it and sign up for a new contract (or jailbreak it)?

Thanks for the help...

2. Jeff321 macrumors member

When you go through the normal activation process you will be able to upgrade your line and keep that old number. You shouldn't have to swap the SIM.

Yes, I recently sold my 2G for $250 and it wasn't jailbroken, so it seems people still want them (although maybe demand dropped since 3GS was announced.)

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You can just swap the sim. Or activate the sim that comes in the phone. Either way you are going to have the same number. I'm not sure why you'd even think they'd give you a new number every time you got a new phone?