Upgrade from 2GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macmigrator, Apr 26, 2009.

1. macmigrator macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new here (and to the world of Macs). I just bought a new Macbook (the white 2.0ghz one).

Anyway, on to my question. It came with 2GB of RAM. Is it worth upgrading to 4GB of RAM?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That depends on what programs u are running on your machine. 2 more Gigs of ram is pretty cheap so u might as well do it.

3. macmigrator thread starter macrumors newbie

Not running anything too intensive but I just want to avoid slowdown. (I'm coming at this from a Windows perspective.) Maybe OS-x doesn't have the I-think-I'll-start-to-slow-down-and-die problem Windows has.

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Since you have the new nVidia WhiteBook, you can order up a 4GB 800MHZ DDR2 kit from NewEgg for like 50 bucks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

You might as well go ahead and upgrade, because the death of DDR2 is coming and prices are going to start going up as demand drops and production of DDR2 decreases. Just take a look at plain DDR prices...through the roof.

5. relativist macrumors regular

6. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I have a late '07 MacBook with 2 gigs of RAM and it is still running great. A few weeks ago I used it pretty intensively for a few days in a row with many applications running simultaneously and didn't show any signs of slowing. So if you have the extra cash, you may as well upgrade - but I definitely would put much priority on it right now.

7. saxmand macrumors newbie

New installed 667 mhz ram shows 800 mhz

Hi

3 weeks ago I bought my first white macbook. (so I'm a nobe)
    And now I just installed my 2x2Gb KVR667D2S5/2G kingston ram.
    Everything works perfect and the machine works very fast, but when I go to about my computer it tells me that my computer have 4 GB 800 mhz ram.
    I'm concerned, because I was told that the my macbook only takes 667 mhz and if you put 800 mhz ram into it, the macbook will automatically change it to 667 mhz.

So what shall I do:
    Will the ram get to much power, should I go chance it in some menu, or is it OK that it shows more than the ram is, cause the macbook did it, it self?

I really don't want my macbook to crash.

Hope for some help.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Moderators get upset if you post the same thing in multiple places. stick to one thread.

9. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I upgraded my blackbook to 4gb for one reason alone: so I can run Windows XP under Fusion while I have other OS X apps open. No bottlenecks at all. However, if I didn't run Fusion, 2gb would be all I need. I don't have too many apps open at once.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's cheap and easy to do, so why not? I think ddr2 is at the bottom of the bell curve in price. Everyone's making it, but some manufacturers are moving on to ddr3. If you wait too long, everyone's going to move on to ddr3, and there will still be a demand for it, so prices will go up. Compare ddr2 prices to ddr or sdram, and you'll see what I'm talking about.