"Upgrade" from 32GB 4S to 8GB 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sat1983, Feb 7, 2015.

1. sat1983 macrumors newbie

Is it worth it? My 4S feels like it's slowly had enough, the battery is dying on me too.

I was once one of those guys that just kept having to upgrade to latest iPhone but this stopped when I bought the 4S!

I now feel I'd like to "upgrade" to the 5C- mainly as I'd like to enter the 4G world and the 5C is an inexpensive way of achieving this, at £319 Sim free. However, the biggest bug bear is the 8GB capacity which is terrible. I don't tend to take many pictures at all or have many apps either which is good news however I do like my music.

The 5S is too big a jump on price- especially as it isn't even the latest phone. The 16GB 5S (which is still relatively poor for storage) is selling for £459 here- if I was inclined to spend that kind of money for an older model I definitely would spend the extra £60 or so to get the 6. But I'm not! the 5C would do- but it's that 8GB issue....

What would you do?

2. JohnApples macrumors 65816

No, I'd say that's definitely not worth it for a few reasons.

First, that's only a single step up from your 4S. While the 5C will be faster, it is also closer to the end of it's "supported life" and may become slower over time, especially if you put iOS9 on it in the future. This may not bother you but...

The 8GB is absolutely terrible, and I really can't believe it's still considered OK to sell a smartphone with such low storage space PLUS no expandable storage option. You also have to remember that the actual storage you'll have available to you is closer to 5GB. I know some people will pull out the "Well some ppl only NEED 5gib!!1!!" but seeing as you chose the 32gb 4S, I'm going to assume that you'll need a little bit more storage than roughly 5 gigs.

I would personally either spend a bit more and get the 5S, which is an all around awesome phone, or stick it out and wait for the new iPhone to come out, and then get the reduced 5S.

Please note this is just what I would personally consider, and if you feel that you can live with ~5GB of storage, go for it. If you're planning on keeping your next phone for a long time, however, it would be wiser to spend a bit more and get a newer model than the 5C that has both more storage and better performance. Good luck!

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Get the 5S. Getting a 5C would be no different to getting a 5.

4. deaglecat macrumors 6502

I have had 8gb phones.... no drama. not much room for apps and you can stream music. photos up to google plus

it is doable.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Stick with what you have and get an external battery. As its an older phone you could pick one up cheap. Here is an example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ipower-20...lePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item3f440b3b3d
    Then save up and get a better capacity newer model. Going from 32gb to 8gb is not going to be fun. Tbh I was finding 32gb to small for me. Got the 64gb now which is great.

6. ravipiero macrumors regular

If you can, go for 5S.
    Otherwise I would recommend iPhone 5 32GB.

7. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Personally I'd have a hard time dealing with a 16GB phone, I can't even imagine 8. That leaves you no room for anything and you'd have to micro manage everything you do and it sounds like a headache. The general rule of thumb when upgrading phones is to always go up in storage. Going from 32 to 8 sounds like a nightmare even though you're getting a faster phone.

My advice? Save up enough money to get an iPhone that can match or surpass your current storage needs.

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

How about a 32GB iPhone 5 ? Like other members suggested.
    It has the same hardware as the 5c.

9. L T macrumors 6502

L T

32GB to 8GB is going to be hard to manage, if of course you have filled up your 4S.

Going to have to go on a diet, going from my 500GB Mac Mini to 128GB Air was tricky!

10. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I guess there's no subsidized plans where you are?

The AT&T Next plan is great. 128GB 6+ For nothing up front. I have the 12 month plan so I can sell it when the next one comes out and make most of my monthly payments back.

I'm using 78GB so I definitely can't relate to 8. It's nice not to have to think about it.

Can't you find a used 32GB 5S?

11. 6r4ff3r macrumors member

For me the problem is not the capacity (since you live with that), but upgrading from A5 to A6.

12. Storminbalders macrumors newbie

This is rather a misnomer. There is no such thing as a subsidised plan.

Unless of course you mean subsidised by you?

The original poster is correct, far cheaper to buy the phone in the manner in which he is intending.

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It's harder to downgrade storage than it is to start with 8GB. The 5c is only one up from the 4s and could be in a similar position in September.

If you use more than 5GB of storage then it's probably not a good idea. Also if you do buy it you'll probably be needing a new phone sooner rather than later. The 5s is a big step up from the older phones and is about on par with the 6, the biggest difference is physical size.

14. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Get a used mint condition or refurbished iPhone 5S. I'm guessing it would be in the iPhone 5C price range.

15. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

It isn't even 8GB of storage. You only have 5.5GB of usable space. Not much at all.
    Are you opposed to buying something like the Moto G or one of the various Lumia phones that can be had for under 100 quid? Then save up for a 5S. Touch ID is really a killer feature and needed for things like  Pay.

16. XT550 macrumors regular

XT550

Spend a few quid and replace your phone's battery. You'll have at least a full year of good battery life.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You've not mentioned how much space you're currently using. If you're using far more than 8gb (realistically you get 6gb and change out of the box), the. I would say this shouldn't even be an option.

----------

Its worth noting that Touch ID isn't actually required for apple pay. Apple pay also isn't avaikabke in the 5s.

18. sat1983 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all you help guys. Having discussed the issue with the Mrs we are going to push it and buy the iPhone 6...

We're just going to do what we did with the 4S and keep the 6 for a few years- get our money's worth! It's eye watering expensive but it just needs to be done- we need to start embracing 4G power! And unfortunately (sort of!) we won't consider anything else but apple. It just works!!

19. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

What capacity will you get the Iphone 6 for? At the price of 16GB iphone 6, you can get a 5s at 32GB. I think you should check how much space you have left on the 4s to determine what capacity you can accept.

Both 6 and 5s are 64bit so diff is not that big aside from screen size of course.

20. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

OP, why not upgrade to a 64GB iPhone 5? They're cheaper since they're discontinued. Besides, it will come with iOS 6, which is better than 7 or 8.

21. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

8 GB iPhone is terrible. It would be a downgrade actually.

22. Camoxide macrumors regular

23. DFTU101 macrumors member

I agree with the above 8 gb is too little memory. I think in downloading the last iOS update download was around 1.7 gb-not sure how much of that is actually used or installed but the updates can take up some memory.

24. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

No!!!!!

Look for alternative places to buy a replacement. I'd recommend a 5s, as you can get one for a comparable price from some relatively legit 2nd hand places. That's what I did, and I couldn't be happier.