Upgrade from 3G iPhone to iPhone 3???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wakerider017, Mar 23, 2009.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I will be wanting to upgrade from my 3G iPhone to the iPhone 3 when it comes out.

I never owned a 2G iPhone so I don't know how you guys upgraded to the 3G iPhone... What was the process?

Did you just sign a new 2-year contract and get the phone at a subsidized price? Getting the 8GB for $199 and the 16GB for $299?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

As the many threads on this subject will tell, nobody really knows. First gen iPhone owners could upgrade and extended their contract, but the first iPhone wasn't subsidized.

3. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Quite a many thread on this subject already.

iPhone 2G users were given the "privilege" of upgrading early, regardless of how far into their contract they were. New 2 year starts with the upgrade.

This summer will be one of two scenarios:

1. Original iPhone users only will receive the same "privilege" that is still in place for such an upgrade, on the new device as well.
    Whilst 3G users will be required to pay twice the price as Original iPhone owners and New Customers....

or

2. All iPhone customers, regardless of device/contract, will be able to upgrade to new iPhone at subsidized price + new 2 year contract.

Since the new device will be, without any doubt, targeted to current iPhone customers who want MORE (because they know the difference, vs. a non customer who does not), I am banking on scenario 2, because it makes the most sense for Apple sales.

Many tout the fact that the original was not subsidized as the "reason" for "free upgrade" privilege. The reason was SALES, as it will be this time around.

4. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Imagine the riots if AT&T did not allow customers with iPhone 3G to upgrade...

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Imagine the riots? Wow, so if you sign a contract you should not be required to complete it? You'll be allowed to upgrade of course, you'll just pay the early upgrade price or full price. Only time will tell!

Why do so many people feel entitled to so many things?

It's simple, you signed a CONTRACT, fulfill YOUR contract or pay a higher price.

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

2 more years and entry level price is what will most likly happen.

7. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I will be mad if that happens I would have never bought the 3G to begin with!

8. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Dream on 3g owners expecting a discount. If you want the next iphone so much you will have to pay the higher price for. This standard practice.

9. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Sounds like you are wrong about that. The problem I have with your statement is that you speak in certainty on an Apple RUMORS website. That is an oxymoron in itself!

Apparently 2G iPhone owners got to upgrade to the 3G iPhone at the $199/$299 price point.

Seems possible (maybe even probable) that this will be the case for the iPhone 3.

So refinancing should also be illegal according to your logic... ;)

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I may be wrong but I imagine one will pay full contract price.

Example:

If you lose your iPhone 3G and need another one you can buy, say a Black iPhone 3G, for $399.

In other words I see it being like this:

New Contract/upgrade eligible: $199/$299

Existing Customers without an upgrade option: $399/$499

No Contract but locked to AT&T: $599/$699

Just like it is now.

This is of course assuming the new iPhone is as cheap to manufacture. I mean people yell about getting ripped off with the 3G but it costs Apple $299 to build the sucker (assuming they get same price discount on parts and labor as other phone manufacturers).

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I think this is exactly how it's going to be.

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'd be at the front of the angry mob. AT&T already treats iPhone customers like crap, so if they don't allow that I'll be very upset.

13. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That is a far stretch to compare to. Let's take your example then, I didn't say you couldn't get the new iPhone, I said you'd pay a higher price. Just like if you refinance, you pay the fees and you reset your loan period.

Not really that much different after all, still a far stretch.

Your contract is just that an agreement that you will do "x." If you want to do anything other than "x" it will cost you in some way.

I do believe that they will offer the early upgrade pricing after a certain cutoff date to 3G owners. That's not AT&T Policy as it's been a long time since I worked for them.

You can search and read my postings, I've stated this many times. I really think the cutoff will be 12-15 months for early upgrade pricing. Again, you'll pay a HIGHER price as I've stated earlier in this very thread.

I, unfortunately, in my time have had a lot of experience with cell phone companies; I know how they work. I can always be wrong on this one, though I highly doubt I will.

I CAN GUARANTEE that 3G owners will not get the regular/new customer pricing! (You can hold me to that one)

14. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Well just like refinancing you are signing a NEW contract. AT&T will get you for another 2 years instead of what ever you had left on your existing contract. I do see how they are different though. Just a quick example I came up with.

Not sure why you are so dead set on it costing early upgrade iPhone users more...

2G iPhone users were allowed to early upgrade to the 3G iPhone at the same cost as new users... So why is this scenario so far fetched???

Apple holds a LOT of weight in the decision making process. So this is not like a regular phone coming out.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The reason 2G iPhone owners were allowed to upgrade was VERY SIMPLE, we payed full price, i.e. non-subsidized. 3G owners payed the SUBSIDIZED price.

If AT&T let 3G owners upgrade at the regular discounted price AT&T will lose money, that's why I know you won't be able to - unless you have a great corporate program. (forgot about those earlier)

I could really care less if they let 3G owners upgrade at a cheaper price, I'm trying to keep expectations down since people are constantly preaching false information on these forums about how they'll (3G owners) be able to upgrade.

I hope it works out for you guys, I really do! I just know how it's going to go, and we'll see 80+ posts a day about kids crying how they can't get the latest and greatest iPhone, though 2G owners were able....

Going back to your refinancing example, to refinance you have to PAY costs. Guess what it's the same as paying a higher price on the phone or buying-out your current contract to sign a new one.

You can keep believing what you want, though you can post here in July saying: "Rev, you were right, sorry to doubt your Uber Skills." <~ not really but you get the point.

16. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Rev, your a little cocky, but I like your style. Haha

Ya refinancing ain't free, it comes with fees. Otherwise you would be doing it everytime the rates went down a point. Like I said just a quick example.

I'll admit I didn't take into consideration that the original iPhone cost so much more.

I guess we will have to just wait and see.. Hopefully I can sell my 3G iphone (w/o a contract) on ebay for the same as the cost of a new iPhone 3 (w/ a contract).

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Pay to play. Its always takes a new 2 year contract to get a cheap subsidized
    phone. If you haven't had your 2g long enough, pay or wait.

I'm very happy I held off buying a 2nd gen iphone. Waiting to pull the trigger on the new super-fast tricked out 3rd gen iphone. I am hoping for cheaper monthly data plans myself-that is ultimately the biggest cost of owning a cell phone.

18. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

More sales. New contracts. More Sales. New Contracts. More Sales.... get it?

^ This is what matters.

If you think AT&T / Apple are about to throw a road block in the way of the new iPhone release when it comes to 3G users, you are absolutely out-of-touch.

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You people just don't get it.

If you bought the 3G for 199/299 that amount was subsidized by ATT, since the real price is 499/599. That means you pay for the remaining 300 along the 24 months contract. If you haven't finished your contract you haven't payed the full 300, so why would ATT let you buy another 499/599 iPhone for 199/299? You haven't fully payed for the first one and now they are going to let you buy another iPhone for $300 cheaper? What happens next summer when yet another iPhone comes out?

If they do this they are LOSING money. it doesn't matter if 3G owners get mad, they have to finish paying for the old phone or pay full price for the next one.

This is how it works for every subsidized phone, and this is what you agreed when you signed a contract, why should you be entitled to anything more?

20. teiresias macrumors regular

How ironic that you get a bunch of 3G iPhone users posting crap like:

"Listen to those loser 2G iPhone owners, whine about no stereo bluetooth or MMS support in their phone. haha, losers!!"

When they turn right around and whine about the possibility of not getting the subsidized price for the new iPhone when 2G iphone users probably will.

21. mbleopard macrumors regular

If you want to see a company treat their customers like crap move over to Sprint, they have horrendous customer service. Dealing with AT&T is so much better than Sprint.