Upgrade from 4s to 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scubacat, Feb 25, 2014.

  1. scubacat macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2011
    Right now Verizon is offering $200 trade-in credit for the 16 GB iPhone 4S. I wasn't thinking of upgrading yet, but with this deal the 5s is pretty much free and all I would pay is the $35 activation fee. Is it worth upgrading since the 5s has been out for so long? Approximately how much can I expect to get in trade-in value for my iPhone 4S once the 6 is released (Verizon is offering $100 and Best Buy $50 for the iPhone 4, so I'm guessing somewhere around there). I know I could wait forever if I'm always waiting for the next big thing to be released, but I'd rather get a phone shortly after it is released instead of one that's halfway through its life. On the other hand, this deal seems too hard to pass up unless the opportunity will come along again later in the year. Any thoughts?
  2. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    You might get $200 for the 4S in a private sale...as to when the newbie is coming? this is Apple we're talking about...If it were me, I'd upgrade...It's a much better, faster phone.
  3. RebornProphet Suspended

    Nov 3, 2013
    I upgraded from 4S to 5S at the weekend and it's a fantastic upgrade.

    The 4S was good on iOS 7, certainly far better than the experience on iPhone 4. However the 5S is a screamer and even more so on 7.1 with the faster transition animations. The level of fluidity in iOS 7 on the 5S is great, there's no noticeable delays or lag and with the chipset in this phone I don't see it being a slouch on iOS 8 when it comes round either.

    Upgrade, you'll love it.
  4. TyShawn macrumors 6502

    Jul 17, 2010
    You'll get more on a private sale if you take the 5s when the 6 comes out vs selling your 4s later. Im my area I can get 4s on CL for around 100-200. I just got a 4s for my wife for 100.00 a few weeks ago. But if you take the upgrade now you should be able to sell your 5s for a lot more in a few months which will just about pay for your new 6 when it releases. Me personally unless its a HUGE change I may wait till the 6s releases before I upgrade.
  5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Feb 9, 2011
    Your call to make. Worth is highly subjective regardless of topic. It was worth it to me to pay to upgrade from the 4s to the 5s and I'd do it today if I had the 4s and was ready to upgrade. That said, none of that necessarily means that it is worth it to you.

    Again, you have to determine which is more important to you and then you'll have your answer.
  6. scubacat thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2011

    Yeah, I know it's my decision, I was just hoping to get some insight regarding whether I'll ever get this good of a deal again. I really can't beat getting a $200 trade-in credit for a phone I only paid $199 for two years ago, so maybe I'll just go ahead and do it. At least I'll have the newest technology until the iPhone 6 comes out later this year.
  7. cynics macrumors G4

    Jan 8, 2012
    If Verizon offers you 100 once the iPhone 6 comes out then you haven't lost anything. The 5S will be 100 dollars cheaper since at the time it will be the previous year model.

    If you go that route you'll at least have the option to pay more and spring for the iPhone 6.

Share This Page