Upgrade from 8GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DancetoExpress, Oct 5, 2011.

1. DancetoExpress macrumors newbie

I currently have a 2nd gen 8GB iPod Touch and I've finally filled it up to where it can barely fit anything else (~300 MB left with only a handful of apps). It doesn't help that I've also been trying to have 320kbps+ songs on it too.

So since I'm almost out of space, I've been considering upgrading to something with more space. I'm not in any rush to buy, but I plan to get it for myself as a Christmas present ;) The most logical choice (to me) is to go for the iPod Classic because of the price/capacity. The iPod Touch is great and all, but I never really used that many apps on my 8GB in the first place. Plus I have a smartphone (not an iPhone though), so I could always use that for my app/internet needs.

Should I go for a new one, or should I go for an older model of the classic to save some money?

TL;DR: 8GB iPod Touch is pretty much out of space. Should I buy an iPod Classic? And new or old?

2. DancetoExpress thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

If you don't have another iOS device, go with 32GB or 64GB iPod Touch. No app store is as good as Apple's. Or if you're okay without iOS, iPod Classic is a good choice. It hasn't been updated for a long time but still gets the job done.

4. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

It's difficult to say without knowing how you will use your ipod. For instance, if it will usually be plugged into your home stereo or car, I'd say get a classic because it will hold the most amount of music in lossless or 320kbps.

But if you use it primarily with headphones while your at the gym, running, walking around town, studying etc then I would suggest you don't really need your music at 320kbps because you will be primarily focused on something else. So if this is the case I would suggest you buy a 32 or 64 GB ipod touch, and set itunes to re-ecode to 128 or 192 AAC when it copies to the ipod. Then keep 320kbps or lossless on your computer, and stream to an Apple TV or stereo when your at home and really want to 'listen' to the music. Use your old ipod as a remote for the setup.