Upgrade from a 2G to a 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bonsaidetective, Feb 11, 2011.

1. bonsaidetective macrumors member

I have a 2G iphone (yes it's ancient) and would like to upgrade to a 3G iphone that a friend gave me. What is the procedure for such a thing? And will I lose my info on the phone, like sms and notes?

I realize this info is probably out there but after hours of searching, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

2. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

hey. first of all, congrats on your new iPhone. second, LONG LIVE 1st gen iPhone, I'm still carrying one, until I get the iPhone 5 this summer! (quite a change, huh?)

well, as for your question, all you need to do is: back up your old iPhone with iTunes (I'm sure you know how to do that). plug in the new one and do a restore, and then it'll ask you to set it up as a new iPhone or from a backed up version. chose the backup you did from the old one, and voilà!

hope it helps.

3. EddieLucitt macrumors newbie

Also, make sure you take the sim card out of your old iPhone and put it in the 3G.

(Take a paper clip, stick it in the hole on the top of your iphone (not the headphone port) and press in until the tray and the sim card pops out. Do the same procedure to the 3G and just pop the original sim card in. If the 3g isn't activated it should be activated after you put the sim in. Then, just do what ThE.MeSsEnGeR said to do and you should be all good to go)