Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAMCROforever

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I'm trying to talk to an AT&T rep but can't get through.

I currently have an AT&T Next contract. On the AT&T website, it tells me:

Pay Off $541.51

ARIELLE's HTC 0P6B120
Pay the remaining AT&T Next℠ Balance to become upgrade eligible and own your device.

So does this mean I will be upgrade eligible immediately after I pay that off? Either for a new AT&T Next or regular 2 year contract?

But the Apple.com websites tells me I could buy a phone today for $749.00 using their check eligibility tool. Not sure what I should do! Any clarification would help.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Technically yes, though you may need to chat with AT&T to get the record updated instantly after payment since you are working with a timed order need.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Only AT&T will be able to tell you for sure. If you pay it off right now I wouldn't be surprised if it would take 24-48 hours for all of AT&Ts systems to be properly updated.

SAMCROforever

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
darn, still waiting on AT&T. I did try to go through checkout with a 5S on apple.com and said i could get a 2 year contract, and went through adding the services and everything. not sure if it would be the same when the 6 goes live.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
You can choose pay to upgrade and immediately upgrade once you pay off. They'll send you a prepaid shipping label if you're sending the phone back, however if you're gonna pay off your next and keep the phone I would assume the same, that you'll be upgrade eligible in the same transaction. At least that's the gist I got from 5 reps.

SAMCROforever

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Awesome, I'm now eligible for an upgrade. So now to decide to opt in to a 2 year contract, or another AT&T Next contract.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.