Upgrade from Core Duo to C2D - is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dhelsdon, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I have an older MacBook 13" A1181 (Black) with a Core Duo 2.0Ghz Processor 2GB of RAM and I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo 2.16/2.4 Ghz processor, so I can run Lion.

Since there are so many variations, I figure it's possible but I was hoping someone could confirm or deny my thoughts?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I think I'd have to upgrade the whole logic board, no?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, the CPU is soldered to the board.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Even then, getting a logic board for a different machine to fit in anothet machine will never work. OP, afraid its not possible

6. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Ah, that's too bad. Thanks for the info people!

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

This is not correct.

You absolutely can switch the logic board from another macbook. If you use the logic board from the merom era Core2Duo's, it will be a direct swap. Anything after will require more such as different cables, LCD inverter, etc.

EDIT: Here's a link that outlines any issues you could run into. Core Duo -> Core 2 Duo upgrade in a MacBook

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Much easier to just buy a later model and sell the Core Duo on though...

9. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wondered the same thing when my girlfriends CD MacBook pro needed repairing. Turned out to be cheaper buying a whole used machine than buying a used/refurbished logic board in her case (but neither were cheaper than the $18 heat gun I needed to buy to fix it).

Also, in my opinion, the only thing you'll miss out on with lion is the disappointment. I've been using it at work and there is almost nothing I like about it (I do like the idea of virtualization - but I haven't tried that yet).

I'm sure if you look around on craigslist or eBay, you'll be able to buy a machine for close to the cost of a logic board.