Upgrade from D90 to D7000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by puckhead193, Nov 17, 2010.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I searched to see if a thread like this existed but I didn't see anything...
    I currently own a D90 with the kit lens plus a 70-300 and I love it. Its great, easy to use takes awesome pictures but when I heard about D7000 released I was a little upset with my D90 shortcomings. Has anyone upgraded from the D90 to the D7000. It is that much better? Is the picture quality that much better (forgetting the megapixel war debate)

How much are people getting from their trade in D90s to upgrade the D7000? I see the camera shop that I plan on going to is selling a new D90 $850. I know without seeing the camera its hard to tell, but there are no cosmetic issues, everything works fine and I have all the accessories manuals and the box. I bought the camera back in the spring probably around March/April (I have the receipt somewhere). I see on the website the are selling a "mint-" which they describe as "very fine condition showing only the very slightest and insignificant signs of use" for $750. Do you think I would be able to get at least get $600/650?

2. pna macrumors 6502

What, specifically, are the D90's shortcomings that you're upset with? That would help people answer whether or not the D7000 would be a worthwhile upgrade for you.

My D7000 just arrived, and while I love it for its low light performance, if I hadn't given my D90 to my brother a year ago to see if he'd get back into photography, I wouldn't have felt compelled to upgrade. The D90's a fantastic camera.

I'd think you should be able to get somewhere between $550 and $600 for it if you were to sell it locally on craigslist. I don't know what the markdown on trade-ins is.

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

If you didn't recognize its "shortcomings" before the D7000 was announced, they probably aren't significant. Cameras are upgraded constantly, and are the weakest link when it comes to getting good images. Perhaps if you were primarily interested in video, the upgrade would be more sensible.

What do you want out of the D7000 that you're not getting out of your D90?

4. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I'm with El Cabong and the others here: unless you can pinpoint exactly what you're missing, I'm not sure you'll see and feel a big difference (except the `new and shiny' reflex, of course). I would suggest you put that money into other parts of your equipment. Perhaps a used 17-55 mm f/2.8 Nikkor or an SB-700? That's money well-spent and an investment which will outlive any camera body.

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I do like the 39 AF points. When I read that I perked up a little bit :p. Other then that i guess it is nicer to have 16mp then 12. I'll prob get a new lens and hope that will solve my buying itch. :p
    The 17-55 mm f/2.8 sounds interesting a little expensive. I saw sigma makes a 17-50 f/2.8 which is cheaper. anyone have experience with this lens? Any word the SB700?

6. 7even, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

7even macrumors 6502a

I hear the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is awesome. There's also a stabilized one, but it might be a little less sharp than the older non-stabilized version.

The SB700 is essentially an improvement upon the SB600 (which I own), but it's a little less powerful apparently. However, the SB700 has a much better interface (more like the SB900 one than the SB600).

Since you're not quite sure what you'd like out of a D7000, I suggest using the D90 some more until you do. Maybe the D400 or D800 will be out then so you can do a true upgrade =P

(Disclaimer: I went D90 -> D7000 because to me the D7k is better in every single way :cool: It's not a night-and-day difference from the D90 but overall it's a great camera :) )

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

The stabilized Tamron 17-50mm is the lens I'm intending to get instead of a kit lens when I finally buy a Canon 60D. I figured there's no point in getting a kit lens I'll never use and won't sell for much.