Upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Totty, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Totty macrumors member

Have had a 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G since day one. I do a little gaming, but mostly use the iPad as a feed reader (Flipbook, etc). I also do heavy mobile dev at work with multiple apps released on the App Store. I'm pretty sure work will be getting in a 3rd gen sometime soon so we can make sure our apps work well, but I can't say I'm not tempted to upgrade myself. I imagine I'd drop the 3G/4G on the upgrade, since I still have not activated on this one. 64GB would be a must for music and movies...
    All this to say, is it worth it? Speed, resolution, camera? Or just try to get rid of the "must buy, must buy" feeling by playing with the one that we get in at work?

2. Wintrmte macrumors regular

I have the original iPad and did not jump on the iPad 2 when it came out.

I am upgrading to the new iPad because I really do like the idea of a higher resolution screen and quad core GPU.

Like you, I do not game much but I do like to read a lot of news, iBooks (crisper text will be nice), etc. The quad core GPU? More of a nice to have in my opinion.

I think it will be a very worthwhile upgrade for those of us who are sitting on the original iPads.

3. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I'm also coming from the iPad 1 to the iPad 3.

I use mine a lot for web browsing, reading, and e-mail. The high resolution screen for reading is very exciting to me.

I have been seeing more crashes lately. My companies online collaboration app will not open. The app opens but immediately crashes even before the splash screen starts. Other than that, I have the occasional app crash (less it seems since iOS 5.1 was released) but I'm just looking for the better screen right now. Camera is not a bid deal to me. I can facetime on my phoen with my kids if I need to so that was just something that may never get used other than to play around with it when it is new and the novelty has not run off. :D

4. MortalDays macrumors regular

According to all of the reviews, the jump from Gen 1 to 3 is totally worth it.

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I'm coming from a first-gen 32GB AT&T 3G model, and if the retina screen was the ONLY upgrade, I'd still be making the jump. It's worth that much to me.

6. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I am making the jump from Gen 1 to Gen 3. The original iPad has become very slow at basic tasks. While I am sure that the speed jump was fully felt going from 1 to 2 I haven't spent much time with iPad2 so I the new iPad should feel awesome in terms of speed and responsiveness. The screen is the icing on the cake.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Another one here going from a first generation to the 3rd one. I look forward to using Safari at more than a painful, crashing crawl when I have a couple of tabs open.

8. Totty thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for responses everyone. Now in line at my local wm. not as glamorous as an apple store, but it'll work. :)

9. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I too am making the jump from first to third generation. The expanded ram is mainly why I chose to update, with retina being secondary. These past months on the iPad 1 have been painfully slow and crashing a lot. The latest update helped a lot, but I still felt it was time to update.

10. PurpleHeart macrumors member

I am doing 1st gen -> 3rd gen

My main requirement when the 2nd gen came out was retina, which they didn't deliver and I skipped.

This time they did, so I preordered as soon as Apple website started working again on the announcement day :)

11. amazonpam macrumors member

Better reading experience!

I too am going from the original to the 3. The better display sold me since I do a lot of reading on my pad.

12. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I have a first-gen 64GB wi-fi/3G that I won in a contest. Never thought I'd have a use for the iPad when it first came out, but I've ordered a couple 64GB Wi-fi of the new ones (one for the wife, and one for me). The LTE aspect is unnecessary for us because we can usually find someplace with wi-fi if we need it, but mostly we use them at home where we have an Airport Base Station.

The retina display will be worth the upgrade by itself, as we also use the iPad to show our design/illustration portfolio to potential clients. That sharpness and brilliant color will make our artwork look even better.

At the moment, the wife thinks I only ordered one for myself. She's gonna **** a brick when they arrive...

13. batotman macrumors 6502

Another who skipped the two. I had the one and two side by side and didn't see much difference and don't care about the cameras. The Retina is great but I'm also looking forward to the 1GB RAM. My iPad 1 ran like ass on iOS 5, safari crashed constantly. So, reverted back to 4.3.5. My kids are excited to get our old ones. :D

14. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

The upgrade will be better than moving to the iPad 2. But there are still a ton of happy campers with the iPad 1 and 2 that will not be upgrading.

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I updated from 1 to 3. Or better I pre-ordered.

----------

How did you manage to go back?

16. The Afroman macrumors regular

The Afroman

Was able to sell my iPad 32gb Wifi to fun my iPad 3rd gen buy. I also skipped the 2. So woo Fedex needs to hurry up mañana

17. batotman macrumors 6502

Jailbroken, had ShSh Blobs saved.