Upgrade from Go Phone to iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jarvijarv, Jun 21, 2008.

1. jarvijarv macrumors regular

i plan to be a first time customer for the iphone 3G. i don't have the original iphone, but i do have a Motorola Go Phone(no annual contract, just pay as you go) i purchased from my local AT&T branch. Will i be able to use what's left of my air time minutes (around $85 worth) and transfer it to the purchase of the $199 iphone 3G? maybe as rollover(downpayment) to the required 2yr contract with AT&T? thanks.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I'd check with at&t but if I remember correctly from my goPhone days the only thing that you might be able to walk away from in that endeavor is your number, and maybe a waived activation fee. They stick to the once you leave goPhone you lose all and any money still on the account.

3. davey0 macrumors member

I just got off the phone with a service rep (my iPhone was stolen) and she told me that I can transfer my current GoPhone balance (~$350) to a new contract.

4. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

You may lose your number. I know that where I live they told us a few years ago that the go phones have a special set of numbers that cannot be transferred. That was a while back and may no longer be true or may only be true where I live where there are limited numbers.

5. jarvijarv thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys, i asked the same question in the AT&T wireless forums and was told a it was NOT possible and a new sim card would have to be installed on the iphone3G at the store....which i assume will have a new cell no. it's ok, i'll use up all my minutes on my Go Phone and gradually tell family and friends of my new iphone3G no.:cool:

6. davey0 macrumors member

That's odd. I was able to do it this afternoon. A new sim card was required though. I kept my old number and my balance was transfered over.

Perhaps you should just call them.

I found a couple of links where this issue is being discussed:

Read the last post.

GoPhone to Contract

Another Link

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

You'll have to get a new number for sure. Check the settings on your Motorola, you may be able to tell it to forward your calls. My old Razr had it, and I just left it at home on the charger for the first month or so until it was time to pay the bill, then sold it on Craigslist.

8. jarvijarv thread starter macrumors regular

thanks again guys for the inputs. they've surely helped to prepare me for the craze happening July 11!! davey0, i'll definitely take your advice and make a couple of calls around the AT&T branches in my area. slapguts, i'll check into my settings on my Motorola.