Upgrade from iPad 1. Now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DaDalle, Oct 24, 2012.

1. DaDalle macrumors member

Hey there,

I'm still on an iPad 1 and I thought about upgrading to a new iPad. NOw since apple introduced a tweaked iPad yesterday I wonder if I should upgrade now or wait for some major upgrades? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I would wait. My sources tell me the iPad 7 will be the most perfect device ever.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think now is the perfect time to upgrade to the forth generation iPad. I was underwhelmed by the specs of the third generation, and was waiting for the upgrade. Of course I didn't expect it so soon so I haven't saved up for it yet.
    I am still happily using my iPad 1, but if you are able to now is a great time to upgrade. Surely the iPad with retina display and A6 processor will have a long life.

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Coming from an iPad 1, wouldn't this version offer major upgrades to what you have? What other upgrades are you looking/hoping for?

5. sineplex macrumors 6502

hell get the iPad 4 it's a major upgrade LTE and twice as fast as iPad 3 with the new connectors and claim of no heat problems like the last one. and you're coming from iPad 1... it's going to be like a lightening bolt!! with the A6X.

6. Liquinn Suspended

I agree. Can't wait to upgrade. :)

7. tann macrumors 68000

I'm going to say yes, if you have the money do it.

Or you might be waiting another 12 months!

8. sineplex macrumors 6502

You can bet your hat! Now that the iPad 4 has an A6X upgrade and iPhone 5 only having the A6...
    and highly probable A6x with iPhone 5S next year.

There will not be another iPad until this time next year!
    repeat:
    There will not be another iPad until this time next year!

:apple:

9. DaDalle thread starter macrumors member

Well I really like the upgrades. I wouldn't know what to add. I just feel like waiting a bit longer for the next upgrade. Well I think I'll just do it. SInce I use my iPad daily I would take advantage of the upgrade.

Thanks for the replies so far.

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Personally, I would so it. I went from the iPad 1 to the iPad 3. Since the 4 is slightly better, even more reason to do it now.

I think if you don't just commit to buying it, you can always question whether you should buy or wait every time a new one comes out. This is technology so the next one will ALWAYS have a little specs or that one new feature that the previous one did not have.

Good luck and enjoy your new iPad 4.

11. Liquinn Suspended

How much RAM does the fourth generation iPad have?

12. sineplex macrumors 6502

we can only speculate until it gets ripped open after release...

same with ipad mini. if ipad mini has 1GB Ram i may bite...
    if it's exactly the same as ipad2 ... then no thanks.

13. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

It has not been disclosed. We will need to wait until the Geekbench tests or an iFixit tear down. Hopefully, it will have at least 1GB.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This was EXACTLY how I felt in June toward iPad 3. Now I so wish I waited.

15. guineapig macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation (iPad 1) but I was looking forward to a retina mini actually.
    I'll give the mini a chance when I hold it in my hands, but it's more likely that I'll wait for next year's retina mini.
    But if I was looking for a full size replacement, once verified that the iPad 4 doesn't have the same heating issues, I'd definitely buy it.

16. pommie82 macrumors 6502

I Think this is about the time to upgrade now if you are a iPad1 user like myself.I'am going to buy the iPad Mini when it comes out just purely when i'am out and about and just want to look at Facebook,Twitter,Forums,Check Emails,Read the Newspaper.It doesn't matter what iPad you buy at some point its going to be out of date at some point.I personally just get as much use out of the product as i can then i can say that was worth the money because i have had a lot of use out of it.I never upgrade every year i don't see apple making enough changes in there product to warrant me to upgrade to every year.But every couple of years or even three years i think personally is worth the upgrade.Personally i couldn't afford to upgrade every year to be honest i haven't got the funds to do it either.I do really like the look of the mini i never really used my 9'7 inch iPad really when i was out and about really only really in the house but the iPad mini looks the perfect companion when traveling around anywhere.i wouldn't use the iPad Mini to watch films or anything thing like that

17. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm still using the iPad 1. I use it every day and it's still chugging along. My wife has an iPad 2 and it's better in every way. I skipped the 3rd version as I didn't like the way the critical factors were heading (ie heavier, thicker, hotter, takes longer to charge).

I'm going to order the ipad mini 32GB & 4G on Friday. I like the form factor over the iPad 4. Yea, I'm not totally thrilled with the A5 processor, 512 Ram (I'm suspecting), and the lower screen resolution in the mini. However, having lived with the iPad 2, it handles everything that I do with ease and it's essentially the same spec's as the mini. Plus, I'm thinking the screen will actually look sharper on the mini than the iPad 2, even though both are the same resolution because of pixels will be denser on the mini.

If they come out with an ipad mini next year with A6, Retina, etc.... I figure I can always sell mine and upgrade.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see any reason to wait if you are coming from the original iPad.

19. DaDalle thread starter macrumors member

I was also going to buy the iPad mini. But I'm somewhat disappointed that it "only" has a A5 chip. I hoped for an A6 chip. But I'll try one out once they're in the stores.

20. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I may actually order both the iPad 4 and the mini on Friday, compare them side and return one before the 14 day window. I'm suspecting the smaller form factor and less weight of the mini will trump the Retina display and A6X processor for my use. The only way I"ll know for sure is to test both I guess.