Upgrade from iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IUBall22, Sep 11, 2012.

1. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

Is it worth it to upgrade to the new iPad if I already have the first gen?

I know about the cameras and retina display...not so sure about the other differences and if they're worthwhile. Appreciate any insight.

2. Skika macrumors 68030

The iPad 1 and the new iPad are worlds apart.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I skipped the iPad 2 and went from the first gen to the new one. It was a huge leap. I also went from Wifi only to 4G/LTE which has made it a lot more useful for me when I am away from Wifi.

My first gen started lagging and apps were crashing. The faster processor, the (VERY slightly) thinner body, and the screen make it well worth it.

4. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

The 3rd gen is really solid. In the way the iPhone 3g was how the original iPhone should have been from the get go, the latest iPad is how it should have been in the first place.

5. kannesss macrumors 6502a

You will love life more if you upgrade. I can't imagine still using a 1. Hope you get one, and your mind will be blown

6. AT101ET macrumors 6502

My Dad has the iPad 1 and I keep telling him to upgrade. The new iPad is great and works more smoothly. Wait for the Apple event and see if any new upgrades are released. If not, I'll still get another model even if its the 2 as the 1st gen will stop being compatible with software updates in the foreseeable future and then its apps will be limited.

7. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from the first gen to the new iPad on launch day. A huge improvement and with 4G it is essentail for me on the road.

8. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

My wife still has my IPad 1 from when I updated to the "new" Ipad. She loves it, and it is still serviceable. She uses the IP1 all the time, especially for recapies in the kitchen or when she was doing some repairs (had all the advice she needed right there).

That being said, you will be shocked at the difference. The new Ipad makes everything you do zippier, from apps to web pages loading. Plus the screen! I say this having noticed almost no difference between my wife's Iphone 4 and my 4s. I find using her IP1 very frustrating. If you use your Ipad with some frequency, especially if you do a lot of reading, upgrade (or at-least after the Sept/Oct announcements).

9. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Worlds apart really, I mean if only Apple would have upped the ram on the IPad 1 to 512 or 1gb, it would still compare and compete with the new iPads.

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

I love my iPad one, but it's disappointing how much worse it performs compared to when it was new (on modern apps and iOS5)

I've managed not to buy a 'New iPad' yet, though. I'm hoping to hold out for the 4th gen.

11. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Like others here, I went from first generation to third and it's a noticeable, and worthwhile, leap. You'd think the screen is the best part and it is nice but you get used to it quickly and the novelty passes. The best part is being thinner and not having those angular edges poking your hands while you hold it. Definitely worth it if you've got the cash.

12. nickn macrumors 6502

Did you get the iPad 1 when it first came out? I did, and under iOS 3 it was good. With the update to iOS 5 though, it became useless, as you can probably tell. If you get an iPad 3, Apple will screw it up again in a few years with an irreversible firmware update. As much as everyone will criticize me on here, I recently got Nexus 7, as I grew tired of Apples games, and love it. It killes the iPad 1 in every single way. Alternatively, you could get the new Kindle Fire, as that also looks good, or even both, and still save at least $100.