All iPads Upgrade from iPad 3 to Air query

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snerkler, Nov 21, 2013.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I've been thinking about upgrading my iPad 3 to the rMini, but am one of the ones disappointed in the colour gamut with the rMini, so considering the Air now (iPad 3 is too heavy and slow). My wife's rMini has just arrived and, apart from the colour gamut, the screen is better in every way. It's sharper and has better contrast imo. How much of the sharpness and contrast is down to the pixel density and how much is it down to just being a new screen?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm wanting to know if the Air as sharp as the rMini (at normal working distance) and if it has the higher contrast? If not is it still better than the iPad 3 or on par? Unfortunately my local electrical store won't be getting any rMinis in for a while to compare the air with it.

Also, I've seen that the air is a touch smaller than the iPad 4, is the size of the 3 the same as the 4?

TIA

2. dljor macrumors regular

The air has the same resolution or sharpness as your current one. It is lighter and narrower. If I have an ipad 3, I won't upgrade. But it depends on what you do with it.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Shame that, I'm really impressed with the sharpness of the rMini. I just want something faster and lighter. Browsing the internet is a chore with the iPad 3 now due to its (relative) sluggishness. How impatient we get eh :eek:;)

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While its possible that the Air's screen is a little sharper than your three sue to it being different tech, its probably the same. Reports have it looking nicer than any previous screen so there's that.

Go into a shop and see for yourself.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I went from the iPad 3 to the Air and the two things I like the most are the size and the speed. Navigating and running apps are much quicker and the entire iPad is lighter and easier to hold.

Personally I wouldn't even mess with the rMini unless you want to save a bit of money and don't mind the smaller screen.

6. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I will, but it's difficult to know for sure as I won't be able to compare side by side (I live in a small town so we're very limited to products are in store). That being said I noticed it with the rMini without having them side by side so maybe I should with the Air if there's that much difference.

The only other 'issue' is the horrible fluorescent lights in store. Has anyone had the rMini and Air side by side and can comment if there's a difference in sharpness?

----------

Although I have large hands I actually prefer the size of the mini :eek:

It's only the colour gamut that's putting me off the rMini. Whilst this isn't an issue for many (eg my wife who's over the moon with hers) I am a keen photographer so it's important to me :(

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think you're just going to have to try it to see for yourself. Even if the Air's screen isn't sharper you will have a faster and lighter iPad which improves the things that frustrate you on your Three. There are people who don't really notice the difference in gamut, so its hard to say if they will see any sight sharpness increase that you might.

If you order online, Apple has extended their holiday return period until mid January I believe.

8. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK thanks. Decisions decisions eh? There's too much choice in life these days lol ;)

9. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I went from an iPad 3 to an Air and I think it was worth every penny. True the screen itself is pretty much the same but the weight & size really makes a difference and it is sooo fast! If you decide to go that route, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3 and 4 are the same size. Yes Air is a touch thinner.
    The display is the same dimensions, and the same resolution, number of pixels. 3-4-Air displays have near identical performance.

I went from 3 to Air. The difference is minimal. Animation still stutters, same RAM, RealRacing 3 and Infinity Blade II look 95% the same.

I wouldn't have even gotten the Air, had I not sold the 3 prior to the Keynote :(

Since the Air doesn't have TouchID, 802.11AC, 2GB RAM. I was quite a bit disappointed.

11. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think the trouble these days is there's not a lot that then can make significant upgrades on, or bring out anything revolutionary therefore there's getting less and less difference between old and new models. I'm sure they hold back on things so that they've always got something else to bring out. I personally think this is probably the reason behind the gamut on the rMini.

It's not just apple though, other companies are struggling to bring out revolutionary upgrades. Look at the Galaxy S4 over the S3, nothing groundbreaking there either. I can't see where they can go tbh other than making things slightly lighter and slightly faster. Not until they master 3D or holographic displays anyway ;)

As I've said though, the main reason for swapping is speed, size and weight (I don't game on mine though). The Air doesn't have a real size advantage granted (although it's slightly thinner and not as wide), but speed and weight yes. TBH it was only after seeing my wife's rMini display that I started questioning the sharpness of the display :rolleyes:

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

And now you have to decide on a color…good luck with that. :D

13. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, that's one of the very few decisions in life that's very easy for me ;)

14. Freakyshiat macrumors regular

upgrade for sure. Its not just about the screen, its about a redefined user experience. So much so that even apple changed the product name to ipad air, not just ipad on the box. After holding one and using one for the last month or so, I can see why. I have a 2,3, 4, mini, rmini and the air. The air is definitely the best ipad ever, size/weight/dimensions combined with A7 and the battery life changes the whole experience. It charges faster, runs a LOT cooler, it is just a better all-around device.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The rMini does have a sharper, higher density display than the 3-4-Air.

But it doesn't have the color accuracy of the larger ones.

16. donnaw macrumors 65816

I upgraded from a 2 to the Air. I really love the size and weight of the Air (or lack of I should say). I had a 3 but recently traded with my husband for his 2 (he needed the extra storage, the 2was a 32g and the 3is 64).

Anyway, he works overseas and just got home on R&R yesterday. He handed his 3 to me for something last night. I just couldn't believe how heavy it felt. To me, unless you never carry you iPad further than sofa to bed, the reduced weight is worth the upgrade if nothing else.

The other thing to think about is iOS 7. Have you installed it on your 3? Does it run well? I did not update the 2 and I'm suggesting he not update the 3. He has no patience with lags and I won't be around to 'support' it. Also he doesn't have the bandwidth while back at work to do further updates if something goes wrong. But back on topic. The OS and your desire to run iOS 7 may influence your decision.

Did I mention just how much lighter the Air is? I simply can't get over how much more pleasant it is to hold.

17. Akack macrumors 6502a

Just hold the air and be prepared to get your credit card ready. I upgraded from the 3 as well and the light weight and no lag compared to the 3 is well worth it.

18. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my local PC world had the air in and I had a 'play' with it last night. Whilst I still preferred the size of the mini, with everything considered I set my mind that I would have the air. However, they didn't have any 32GB black/grey ones in stock so I left without one. I went home and used my wife's rMini all night and had a change of heart. Sitting on the sofa using the rMini is a joy,.... except when I look at my photos or go on the photography forum I use. The colour thing was still niggling me.

So the long and short of it is that I'm still as confused as ever, I really need therapy lol ;)

My latest thoughts are to get the Air from apple and give it a trial run in day to day living knowing that apple have a no quibble 14 day returns policy, and if I do decide I prefer the rMini after all I can swap it. I'm not sure how I feel about this morally though :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the same returns in terms of ease of return and conditions applies to those bought on finance (UK)?

19. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Eh, I'm going from iPad 3 to the retina mini, mainly because I prefer the size/weight. I don't really care for the air, especially when the internals for the air and retina mini are the same.

20. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I bought an air tonight, and still undecided lol. The pros and cons are still the same. Definite weight advantage over the 3, and the tiny bit they've shaved off the bezel makes a huge difference IMO in comfort of holding it.

The rMini is noticeably lighter than the air, I would say it"s as noticeable as the difference in weight between air and 3. Also the screen of the rMini is sharper. But the colour difference is quite noticeable. I notice it on bright yellow, and fluorescent colours. Fluorescent colours aren't fluorescent on the rMini.

I am swaying more to the air I think at the mo, no doubt I'll change my mind a few times yet by the end of the weekend :rolleyes:;)

21. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I have a 3 too, and am on the fence. My local Apple stores still do not have a rMini to look at. Sure the Air is lighter than the 3, but the rMini might be a more "fun" switch. For me, use is primarily ibooks, which look super in the mini. For now, sticking with my 3.

22. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the colour gamut doesn't bother you then I think the rMini is the perfect ipad, it has the perfect size and weight, super fast and the sharpest screen I've seen.

If the next mini has the full colour gamut and everything else stays the same or gets better I will definitely swap the air for the mini.