Upgrade from iPad -> iPad 2 at this stage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Domino8282, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Hey all... I'm sure this is one of those questions that gets asked all the time, but I'm trying to decide at this stage of the release cycle whether it would be silly to sell my iPad 1 and get an iPad 2.

What are my reasons? Well, beyond always wanting the shiniest new toy (which I must admit is a large part of my reason), I want to be able to mirror my display (without jailbreaking), which I know is possible on the iPad 2. The speed increase would also be nice, and I actually do use FaceTime a fair amount when I'm on business trips.

Selling my iPad 1 32GB w/Wi-Fi only looks like it'll fetch around $350 on eBay, so I'm looking at around $250 for the upgrade to the same model iPad 2, or $350 if I decide to spring for the 64GB model.

Last I read, the old rumors of an iPad 3 this year were debunked and we're looking at a 2012 release... Gah this is a tough decision.

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

If the money is in the budget I would go for it. I did and couldn't be more pleased!

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

"At this stage" meaning 3 months into a product cycle for a product that's not expected to be updated until next spring? Most people would still call that "early."

4. Calvinator666 macrumors member

My wife owns the first iPad, and I recently got the iPad 2 about a month ago. Prior to myself getting the iPad 2, I used my wife's iPad on an everyday basis.

Having used these 2 iPads before, I do find that the iPad 2 does indeed perform much smoother and faster. Webpages load up right away when you switch from page to page and if you do intend to use Multitasking Gestures with Xcode, you will see a very noticeable difference between the first iPad and the iPad 2.

However, I find that the battery life for the iPad 2 feels somewhat weaker comparing to the first iPad although I am able to run the iPad 2 in between 2 to 3 days before it needs another charge.

5. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Dropping a couple hundred on a new iPad is a pretty good deal. I say go for it if you're the type of guy who needs to have the latest version. You can do the same thing for the iPad 3.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I would wait for refurbished ones if I were you. It shouldn't be too much longer.

7. solowmodel macrumors 6502

+1

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Best guess on refurbs is late summer, or mid-way through the product cycle.

9. xraytech macrumors 68020

These guys are pretty reliable...

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

BUY!!!
    BUY!!!
    BUY!!!

10. vistadude macrumors 65816

There's really not much difference between the new and older iPads, and FaceTime is way better on the iPhone 4 than iPad 2. Why don't you try something much different like an hp touchpad or galaxy tablet?

11. Rikithemonk macrumors newbie

Because they are android. The android marketplace is selling apps riddled with the Droid dream trojan. According to AVG, these apps have affected a combined total of 15,000 android systems. And these aren't jail broken systems. I'm talking about regular android units buying regular infected apps from the legit android app store.

That's why not.

12. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I was in the same boat but I bit the bullet and got e White iPad 2 and I couldn't be happier. I only got this yesterday : )

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

13. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I pulled the trigger on an iPad 2 64GB - Black w/Wi-Fi only.

Life's too short. ;-)

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Enjoy!!!!!!

15. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

^^ To be honest, I would definitely enjoy it more having $800 in my pocket instead of the Ipad 2 64GB model.

16. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Don't forget the $40 or so you will be paying your friends at eBay/PayPal for selling your iPad and getting paid.

17. topherg macrumors regular

I originally bought an iPad 2 wifi 3G 64gb for 900+. After playing with my friends iPad 1 didn't see much difference for what I use my ipad for. Ended up returning my iPad 2 and bought a new iPad 1 64gb wifi off craigslist for 450

18. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Just gotta update this for closure to say that I got my iPad 2 (64GB w/Wi-Fi only) and couldn't be happier. Is it a huge difference from my iPad 1? Not really. However, I can notice a performance increase on games, certain app load times and using Safari. I can also notice the weight/thickness difference and I love the new smart cover.

I was worried the smart cover wouldn't be comfortable to use in bed, where I most frequently use my iPad, but it's actually perfect when folded into the "stand" position and propped on my stomach. Very comfortable for reading, web browsing, etc.

Not a huge upgrade, but what can I say... I'm a fanatic and am extremely happy with my purchase.

19. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Handy thread, been debating the upgrade myself. I want it but know its not _that_ improved and ideally I'd like a retina type display as screen is slightly fuzzy with text.

While I have an iPad 64gb I think I'll only get the 32gb iPad 2 (both Wifi) as I rarely need the storage space (media streamed as needed). Would love 3G but I wouldn't use it enough to justify it :)

My debate now is an aTV 2 or wait for the 3