Upgrade from late 2010 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fontane, Jan 10, 2012.

  1. Fontane macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #1
    Have a late 2010 MBA with 4gb/128gb and love it. Bought it almost a year ago and so I'm at a decision point:

    1) Buy Applecare and hang onto this late 2010 model. Given that I just use it for Internet and light word processing (on the net), do you think it will be worth keeping for another two years?

    2) Or should I just upgrade to the 2011 model now? I really want the backlit keyboard and a 256gb drive. Faster processor would be nice, but I honestly haven't had an issue with my current processor.

    Should I upgrade now and be set for two years, or buy Applecare for the late 2010 model and plan on keeping this one for awhile? What do you guys think?
     
  2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

    BreakGuy

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2009
    Location:
    NZ, South Pacific
    #2
    I can't see any reason to upgrade if you're fine with what you have now. Sure a flashy backlit keyboard would be a nice extra but can you justify spending $1500+ for it? In terms of the HDD, you could grab yourself an external HDD to keep you going for the meantime.
     
  3. Dynax macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    Location:
    Munich
    #3
    Just upgrade your SSD.

    2011 model has a better CPU but if you cant even push it to the limits.. why bother? It has a slower GPU on the other hand anyway, so its not like a improvement at all parts.

    Enjoy your 2010 model! I wish i still had it :( Mine broke and I really dont want to replace it with the 2011 one but looks like I have to wait for the 2012 model with better graphics hopefully.
     
  4. Fastball32 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2011
    #4
    Don't invest more money into your MacBook Air.
    Take a chance that your Air will not break in the next 6 months, and sell it right before the 2012's come out.
    Ivy Bridge is very tempting for ultrabooks, due to its better power management and integrated graphics.
     
  5. jstntch macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    #5
    I agree with most of the others. Why spend that kind of money just to get a backlit keyboard? If your current model works for you, keep it. I would suggest you get applecare though. That way you can keep you current machine worry free and arguably have an easier time selling it when the time comes. After the 2012 models are out for a couple months, sell your current computer and buy an apple refurb.
     
  6. JonLa macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2009
    #6
    Love my 2010 Air, and having recommended it to friends and family who bought 2011 Airs..... there's not much difference, really. Nothing noticeable in terms of speed. If you've got plenty of cash then try to sell the 2010 and make up the difference, but I think you'll be disappointed by the "upgrade" if its just for surfing and ordinary stuff. Wait and see what the 2012 refresh has in store.

    Personally I'm planning for three years at least for my 2010 - best computer I've ever owned/used.
     
  7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    boy-better-know

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2010
    Location:
    England
    #7
    I got free apple care through my university, which was nice. So I think I will keep my 2011 MBA for 3 years.
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone here sold their MacBook air? If so, how long did you have it and by how much did it depreciate?
     
  8. raftr macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #8
    If you're planning to get Apple Care now, it makes sense to put that money into upgrading instead. The only real downside with 2011 models is that battery life is shorter.
     

Share This Page