Upgrade from Mac Pro 4-core to 8-core, how smooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CaptSaltyJack, May 14, 2010.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

I'm on a 4-core currently, and will be buying an 8-core next week. Is the transition as easy as just taking out my hard drives and dropping them into the new Mac Pro? Or do I actually have to start with a fresh install of Snow Leopard?

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Should work without problems. All needed hardware drivers should be already installed. If you will experiencing any issues, then you will need clean install.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Depending on the exact logic board, there could be an issue with the chipset drivers. Though I'd presume in the case of the '09 systems, they created a unified driver that works with either the X58 or 5520 (SP and DP system chipsets respectively).

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I'd use the migration tool to copy over your apps and data instead of just replacing the drives. That works ok if its just data, but it may cause issues with system drives. Better to be safe than sorry.

5. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm upgrading from a 2007 Mac Pro, so, it's somewhat old. Might be a good idea to do a fresh install, eh?

6. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I've used the Migration Assistant to go from a 32-bit Core Duo MacBook Pro, to a 64-bit Core2Duo MacBook Pro, to my current 8-core MacPro 2009.

No issues.

7. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to be clear.. so you did a fresh install of the OS, then plugged in the HD from your previous system and used the Migration Assistant to restore your system files & apps & data?

8. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Well, the first two were laptops... so I couldn't put those drives into a MacPro tower.

I was really just praising Migration Assistant, connected via firewire cables.

I also did an in-place upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard along with these three different systems. Everything has migrated smoothly.

So just use Migration Assistant, don't just swap the drive.