Upgrade from Macbook to Macbook Pro?

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
328
0
I have a white Macbook not sure of the year its either 2006-2008. I am considering selling it along with my ipad 2 to get a 13 inch Macbook Pro. I consider the ipad 2 kinda pointless since I got the iphone, rather use the Pro over the ipad 2 anyway.


1) Do you think its a worthy upgrade? why?


2) How much could I get for the Macbook?

- slight chipping on the front edges, I believe its a common defect with these macbooks


3) How much could I get for the iPad 2

- only had it for less than a month, put a Belkin cover on the back and have been using the Smart cover, oh yeah comes with leather black smart cover and a 2.5 year drop/spill warranty from Best Buy.


4) Is a new macbook Pro coming out soon should I wait?
 
Last edited:

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
151
1
1) Do you think its a worthy upgrade? why?
2) How much could I get for the Macbook?
3) How much could I get for the iPad 2?
4) Is a new macbook Pro coming out soon should I wait?
Here is what I would do if I was in your situation (and I will attempt to answer these bullets (not in order cause I'm scatterbrained))
1) Sell your iPad 2. You have a mobile computer, you don't need it. As for how much you can get for it check the apple website with the specific kind you have. 3G + wifi models will pay slightly more.

2) I wouldn't sell your MacBook quite yet. Reason because Yes the new MacBook pros are a worthy upgrade but within 6-8 months MAX new MBPs with Ivy Bridge processors will come out, and you will feel left behind if you get one now.

so here is what you do...

After you sell your iPad 2 take that cash and buy some upgrades for your current MacBook. RAM and new hard drive come to mind. If you can spring for it get an SSD. Honestly though new RAM should hold you over until the next MBP update and thats when you should buy.

If you ever have a question about when to upgrade there is also a handy Buyer's Guide tab on the top of this website. Click it and check to see the timeline for upgrades and rumors for upcoming products.
 

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
328
0
Here is what I would do if I was in your situation (and I will attempt to answer these bullets (not in order cause I'm scatterbrained))
1) Sell your iPad 2. You have a mobile computer, you don't need it. As for how much you can get for it check the apple website with the specific kind you have. 3G + wifi models will pay slightly more.

2) I wouldn't sell your MacBook quite yet. Reason because Yes the new MacBook pros are a worthy upgrade but within 6-8 months MAX new MBPs with Ivy Bridge processors will come out, and you will feel left behind if you get one now.

so here is what you do...

After you sell your iPad 2 take that cash and buy some upgrades for your current MacBook. RAM and new hard drive come to mind. If you can spring for it get an SSD. Honestly though new RAM should hold you over until the next MBP update and thats when you should buy.

If you ever have a question about when to upgrade there is also a handy Buyer's Guide tab on the top of this website. Click it and check to see the timeline for upgrades and rumors for upcoming products.

Hmmm. Your right bout the ipad. Thanks. What is SSD? 6-8 months is a looongg time. I mean, if I got the Macbook Pro now, couldn't I just sell it when the new ones come out and pay the difference? instead of being stuck with this white macbook which has a higher probability of breaking...
 

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
151
1
Hmmm. Your right bout the ipad. Thanks. What is SSD? 6-8 months is a looongg time. I mean, if I got the Macbook Pro now, couldn't I just sell it when the new ones come out and pay the difference? instead of being stuck with this white macbook which has a higher probability of breaking...
SSD is a solid state hard drive (so i guess it should be sshd?) anywho, it's the type of storage used in the macbook airs, MBPs and iMacs. I'd say if you upgrade right now..... well, hang on, what are you mainly using your computer for? General stuff, gaming, editing videos/photos???

Reason I brought that up is because you have a choice between the 13" Macbook Air and the 13" MBP. Main reason to choose the pro over the air would be storage space, faster processors aaaaaaaaaaaaaand optical drive.
 

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
233
1
Atlanta, GA
Hmmm. Your right bout the ipad. Thanks. What is SSD? 6-8 months is a looongg time. I mean, if I got the Macbook Pro now, couldn't I just sell it when the new ones come out and pay the difference? instead of being stuck with this white macbook which has a higher probability of breaking...
SSD is a Solid state drive. They are a type of HDD if you will and they are really nice. But just bump up your ram and wait for the new MBP's to come that is what I am doing anyway.

Damn you bet me to it Heimbachae..
 

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
328
0
Well I actually do Internet marketing so it will be used mainly as a work computer, I need to run parells for windows to run certain softwares and yes I need the space, plus since the air is around the same price I don't see the point in investing so much money for something that's twice as thin, I want get my money's worth. Dont really care about the weight or portability, it's not that heavy anyway, plus I want the drive built in
 

lacoste-rocker

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
233
1
Atlanta, GA
Well I actually do Internet marketing so it will be used mainly as a work computer, I need to run parells for windows to run certain softwares and yes I need the space, plus since the air is around the same price I don't see the point in investing so much money for something that's twice as thin, I want get my money's worth. Dont really care about the weight or portability, it's not that heavy anyway, plus I want the drive built in

Well then wait and get a a macbook pro when the new ones come out, or get one now it is up to you. I would wait but like it I said it is up to you.
But one problem is solved don't get the mba and get the mbp. I never really wanted a mba don't get me wrong they are nice but I'd much rather have a mbp for the price.
 

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
328
0
Well then wait and get a a macbook pro when the new ones come out, or get one now it is up to you. I would wait but like it I said it is up to you.
But one problem is solved don't get the mba and get the mbp. I never really wanted a mba don't get me wrong they are nice but I'd much rather have a mbp for the price.
Exactly. I think ima get one now and trade it in/resell it when the new ones come out. Thanks!
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.