Upgrade from MBA mid 2013 to?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cervelo-Van, May 29, 2015.

1. Cervelo-Van macrumors member

I have a mid 2013 MBA, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Works fine, but do like the new MacBook.

I use my MBA mainly for work, so mainly Word, email, web.

If you were to suggest an upgrade, what would that be? I got the impression from people at the Apple Store that going to a MacBook from my current configuration would be a step down. New MBAs around the corner?

I do like the lightness factor of the MBA and MacBook, so not sure if MBP would be an option.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Why upgrade? The current model MBA isn't much different than the 2013 model that you have.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you don't notice your Air being slow, you may not notice the new MacBook being slow; at least not enough to annoy you. It mostly slows down during long bouts of processing.

Only you can decide if the one port and a USB hub is enough.

What you will notice about the MacBook is the weight, thickness, screen, and speakers.

The current Air isn't enough of an upgrade so go with the 13" Pro, which is faster but heavier and thicker, or the new MacBook.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

The MacBook Air was just updated a few weeks ago. I wouldn't expect another update this calendar year. The 2015 MBA is a slight improvement over your computer, but not buy a significant amount.

You're correct that a new MacBook would be a step down in nearly every performance category from your current configuration.

The 13" MBP would be a meaningful upgrade in several areas if you weren't opposed to it.

5. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Have the exact same laptop. Why do you need to upgrade? Mines runs amazing on Yosemite. Probably won't upgrade for another 2-3 years.

6. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

My personal opinion, just skip the first version. I think it will get some tweaks (second port at least). I really like it too by the way, but do think Apple will react to some of the critics.

7. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

The difference between the 2013 airs and every Air after it hasn't been amazing.

You may notice slightly better battery life, however the 2013 Airs were one of the best upgrades. It brought much better battery life thanks to Haswell, bluetooth 4.0, AC wifi and improved graphics. You aren't going to notice leaps in performance with the 2014 or 2015 air.

If it were me, I would back up everything and do a fresh install of the OS.