Upgrade from MBP advice, please help college student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wakebrdr, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wakebrdr macrumors newbie

I'm currently on a 1st gen 15" MBP with highest available (at the time) specs

2.16 GHz Core Duo Processor
    2 GB Ram
    100 GB HD 7200 RPM
    256 MB ATI X1600 Graphics Card
    3-year applecare (in effect until next february)

Does anyone have available performance comparisons between the current crop of MBP's and the first-gen (which I have)? The computer runs safari fine but I do find it stalling not from time to time when I push it.

I do A/V work, and gaming on my laptop using boot camp when necessary.

Thank you so much for your advice!

2. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

fwiw, there are performance examples on apples site with this exact model. i noticed them as this is the exact same spec as what i have ;)

i'm pretty happy with my mbp. just wish it could take more ram.

3. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

That's still a damn fast computer...you might want to do a clean install for a speed boost before upgrading!

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Two points:

1. You don't need to upgrade; stop being greedy. :cool: Reinstall Tiger if necessary; that machine
    should easily last another couple of years without needing a replacement.

2. Let this be a reminder as to why you should never order a top of the line computer.
    No matter how good one looks at the time, it will be outclassed several times over
    within a couple of years at most.

5. wakebrdr thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone got performance comparisons between my computer and the new iteration?

Thanks!

6. wakebrdr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply and help sharky, but I was hoping for a more exhaustive comparison if anyone has the data!

Thanks!

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Personally your computer should be good for a while to come. You don't need to upgrade, but if you have the extra cash, now is as good a time as any as you can still get quite a nice amount of cash for your laptop (i just saw that same laptop go for over 1400 on ebay)

I noticed a big difference between my original 2.0 CD macbook pro and the 2.2 SR macbook pro I got in november (have since traded and switched to different toys hehe) It ran a lot cooler, the screen was much nicer (LED and all... better battery life too) and the ability to add 4gigs of ram over the 2 i had in the other one really speeds things up a bit. The larger harddrive helps too.

I'd say you'd notice performance due to the ram and the C2D processors. I can't give you actual numbers, but if you have extra cash, now is as good a time to sell as you have a year of service left and can get a lot back for it.

AND you can pick up a refurb 2.2 SR for approx 1540 ish with tax or a 2.4 SR for 1750ish, which is a GREAT deal... so it might not hurt... Or ofcourse the new ones for about 1900 (with tax and student discount) so... while you can still get a good amount for your old one, you may benefit.

It's up to you. Your computer is by no means slow, but you will definitely notice a difference.