Upgrade from Mid 2007 15'' MBP 2.2ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thelasersailor, May 19, 2010.

  1. thelasersailor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 1, 2010
    #1
    As the title suggests I'm considering upgrading my mid 2007 macbook pro 2.2ghz with 128mb 8600M GT graphics. I'm thinking about either a mac mini or a 13'' macbook pro and was wondering what (if any) difference I would see in performance compared to my current model. At the moment I use my MBP mainly with an external monitor hence my consideration of a mac mini. I've got another ultraportable sony laptop so it doesn't really need to be that portable (if I were to go with a laptop). Anyone got any thoughts?
     
  2. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
  3. thelasersailor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 1, 2010
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    You would have to get either 15" MBP or iMac to get a speed boost.
     
  5. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2003
    Location:
    Honolulu
    #5
    +1 Albeit the OP could see some performance boost with the high end 2.66 13" MBP but the performance gain would still hardly be groundbreaking. Forget the mac mini though as even with the high end model the 2.53Ghz with it's slower 9400M is no match for the the 320M and for that matter the 8600M or 9600M GT.

    I would suggest getting a refurb 15" MBP running a C2D @ 2.66-3.06GHz with a 9600M GT or refurb imac running with a C2D @ 2.8GHZ or faster. Though if you got the dough I would just upgrade to a 15" MBP or an imac with a core i5 or i7 processor that way there would be no question on CPU or GPU performance.
     
  6. thelasersailor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 1, 2010
    #6
    Thanks for the replies. I kinda thought things would have moved on a bit more in 3 years but looks like i was wrong. Maybe I should just hang onto my MBP, if it ain't broke ...
     
  7. JavierP macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2008
    #7
    The main difference will be that you won't hear the ticks from the 8600 GT bomb
     
  8. thelasersailor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 1, 2010
    #8
    Hmm yes, already had one fail on me and it's just going out of warranty so on second thoughts it's probably time for a change. Stick it on flea bay and might even be able to afford an i7 MBP!
     
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #9
    For realiability over the 8600, both would be an improvement.

    For performance the Mini probably would be a big downgrade for anything related to the GPU. Likely about half the performance.

    Would have to see www.barefeats.com for an idea how the 330M stands up to the 8600M or the 9600M.

    http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp21.html

    Likely about a 20-33% bump, going to a MacBook Pro with the 330m.

    ---

    For the CPU the Mini vs your machine likely would be dependent on the differences in cache sizes, the new MacBook Pro likely would give you the bigger bump.

    ---

    If you are looking for real gain, wait until the new iMacs show up with the i5/i7 across the board and snag one of those -- if they do go all quads across the board with the dual core C2D in the entry/education model ... you'd see your biggest leap in performance with the entry level i5 quad core machine, and the typical spec bumps from there to the top.
     
  10. UCLA-Bruin macrumors member

    UCLA-Bruin

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    #10
    Hang on to it. I've got the late 2008 MBP15 2.4Ghz 256MB—paid $1199 new on academic price and I'm waiting for an i7 to be available for under $1999...that or scooping up one of these 17" with an i5 as a refurb or closeout.
     

Share This Page