Upgrade from Office 2001 to 2004 on OSX 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hertbert, Dec 28, 2007.

1. hertbert macrumors newbie

Hello,

I got a new mac and I wanted to use Office 2004 for mac instead of the old 2001 version, so I bought the upgrade.

Now if I try to install the upgrade it wants me to show where the previous installation is. Is there a way to directly install the 2004 *without* first installing 2001?
    This because first: I'm running OSX 10.4 on the new machine and I don't want to install 9.x again, second: I lost my 2001 cd (still got the box and the code) so it would be next to impossible to do so even if I wanted to (unless I find the cd).

Thanks in advance,
    kind regards,
    hertbert

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you could connect an external HD with your backup copy of 2001 (or use your old computer in target mode) and then point the installer to that drive as the location for the verification of the previous version

3. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Yes, but you need the original office:mac 2001 CD, when the install/upgrade process for the 2004 request you for a proof of an existing older office version just insert your old 2001 CD, even if this for OS9, after verification the installer will proceed normally. This is the way I have done when I have had to migrate to newer Hw.

The other solution is do as Macky-mac suggested

cheers!

4. hertbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for you replies and suggestions. However I don't have a an old install anymore, nor as said the cd ... :-/
    I called microsoft support if they could sent me a new one, or a link to download the software. Took them a while to realize I was looking for the 2001 cd and not the 2004 cd ... and once they did they couldn't help me anymore, "this product is so old we can't offer it anymore" ... not on cd, not by download ... nadah ... :-/
    So I'm probably stuck with the upgrade since the store likely won't take it back, I asked microsoft when I had them on the phone and they said no ... and add to that I have to pay the full price for a new non-upgrade of 2004 ...:-/ Great ... fun to waste money that way. :) <sigh>

Kind regards,
    hertbert