Upgrade from Office 2011 to 2016

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jerhen, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Jerhen macrumors regular

I bet this has already been asked by someone, but is it worth to upgrade from Office 2011 on a retina MacBook Pro to Office 2016? I kind of like the new design of Office 2016 and the support for retina screens but don't really know if it is worth it. Is it true that when Office 2011 gets to the end of its support lifecycle that you could have some security vulnerabilities when they quite supporting it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective, how often do you use Office - are you a heavy user, or just occasional? If the latter, I'd not upgrade. There's no major feature that is added which could make it worthwhile.

3. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

I am just an occasional user. You don't think it is worthwhile then? Is it also true that when updates stop for 2011 that your security could be at risk since they wouldn't be updating it with security fixes?

4. jmiddel macrumors member

Do it, 2016 is nicer looking, more secure and offers a smoother experience. The license is available on Amazon at a discount.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't see what difference it makes what computer you're using, if you need the new features or compatibility then it's probably worth the upgrade; if the features and compatibility of 2011 still suits your needs, then it probably isn't worth it.

6. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

It makes a difference because some of the menu items on Office 2011 on my Mac are fuzzy because of the retina display.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That sounds more like a screen resolution vs text size issue to me but hey, if dropping some cash on software is a fix you're happy with, then who am I to argue?

8. chino101 macrumors newbie

chino101

The battery life is much better in 2011 I have found. 2016 always has high usage. I don't know if they've fixed it yet.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The older version of office didn't have retina support so visually it was less pleasing.