Upgrade from original iPhone to 3GS, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akjorge, Jan 15, 2010.

1. akjorge macrumors newbie

I thought this might be a twist on the perennial "should I upgrade or wait debate."

I have an original iPhone (yup, with the aluminum case), and just recently became eligible to upgrade to a 3GS for $199. The question is, should I? I imagine the difference between a 3GS and the phone I have now is a bit more dramatic than that between a 3G and the 3GS, but is it enough?

A few more points:

AT&T just extended its 3G network to our area on Jan. 5, 2010, and I imagine it will be another four years before any 4G capabilities get here.

One thought I had is that if Apple releases an amazing new phone in June, I could head over to eBay and sell the 3GS for enough to justify buying the newest of the new.

Thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You've had your iPhone for 2-3 years already, might as well wait another 6 months to find out details on the next iPhone.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Where's the twist?

Seems like the same repetitive "should I upgrade?" drivel to me.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

thats like asking the question kill my self today or wait 6months?

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

You've made it this long. The new one will come out in 6 months. If you upgrade now you will surely regret it when you see the new one. Wait it out.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

On the same token, if he upgrades in six months it'll only be another 12 before a new one is released so he might as well wait for that one.

Seriously, it's a short refresh cycle. Buy it. The 3GS is a good phone. Who knows. You may not even like the next one and then you'll have waited six months for nothing.

7. trajen macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and you can always sell it! :)

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Except there isn't a huge difference between the 3G and 3GS. Going from the 3G to the new 4G iPhone would give one more satisfaction. I'm not sure it is worth it to lock into another 2 years with AT&T and lose your upgrade option for such slight benefits the 3GS provides.

9. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

He doesn't have the 3G...

You haven't really said why you want to upgrade. There is a big improvement from the original iPhone to the 3GS, but if you are satisfied with your iPhone now (and there is no "must have now" features), why not wait.